Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Vz-24 Is A **&&^%%%

karlunity

Fellas.

Now with my Rom. 22 I was in the bull at 100 meters, firing from sand bags.

With that rotten Vz-24, with mojo sights and a new crown the darn shots were all over the target at 50 meters and not even on the paper at 100..!!!

This is with neck-sized ammo and hand loads.!!!!!!

I think that the steel in the barrel has corroded.

Gad......

Karl

Oh wow, a vz24 gone bad!!! Tell ya what Karl, I'll take it off your hands a retrain it to behave if ya want...I'll introduce it to a well mannered vz24 and turk....Just bein a good neighbor here...Dave

"have you slugged the bore? of course you verified the sights were nice, tight, and secure...."

Yes.

The only thing I can think of is a bad barrel.

As to selling the receiver..that would be a FFL to a FFL as I no longer hold a CR, I let it expire, I would have to find one.

I think that the receiver is in good shape but THERE is something wrong with this rifle as yet I don't know what that is so it could be a receiver problem...

Karl

"have you slugged the bore? of course you verified the sights were nice, tight, and secure...."

Yes.

The only thing I can think of is a bad barrel.

As to selling the receiver..that would be a FFL to a FFL as I no longer hold a CR, I let it expire, I would have to find one.

I think that the receiver is in good shape but THERE is something wrong with this rifle as yet I don't know what that is so it could be a receiver problem...

Karl

Karl,

If you can find a barrel I'd be happy to help you out. Otherwise, if you want to dispose of the receiver, keep me in mind too.

I had one that shot like cr@p, so I cut off the barrel to where it exits the stock, cut the bayonet lug off the cap, recrowned after adjusting the headspace to minimum and the darn thing became a good shooting carbine. PM me if you are interested.

"I had one that shot like cr@p, so I cut off the barrel to where it exits the stock, cut the bayonet lug off the cap, re crowned after adjusting the head space to minimum and the darn thing became a good shooting carbine. PM me if you are interested."

z1r

Thanks z1r.

When I picked this one, I went out of the way to clean the bore and check the rifling at the store, so when I cleaned it and took it to the range, I was not happy to get shotgun like groups are 25 meters!!!!!!!!

I counter bored and it shot well for a while, say about 2 and 1/2 inch groups at 100 meters on avg.

But it went bad again and shorting and re crowning did not help.

"Otherwise, if you want to dispose of the receiver, keep me in mind too."

I will be glad to, but keep in mind that the problem may well be the receiver.

Right now I just don't know and I don't want to fly under false colors.

Karl

Karl are you shooting cast lead slugs ?? What kind of loads are you putting together and have you used the same load in another 8MM?? What kind of bullets are you shooting?? If you're shooting surplus bullets pull one, see if it is a soft lead core and measure it if you have a mike. Was the expended brass streaching, splitting or backing out primers?? Did you slug the bore and if so do you recall the slug size??

I counter bored and it shot well for a while, say about 2 and 1/2 inch groups at 100 meters on avg.

But it went bad again and shorting and re crowning did not help.

How many rounds did it take to go bad after the mods? A barrel doesn't just go bad in a few rounds, especially if you're shooting the same loads that grouped acceptably before.

I agree with Jimro that perhaps it's a bedding issue. Try messing with the guard screws with different tensions. Make sure your rear guard spacer is doing its job and not causing a deflection of the receiver. Mausers are notorious for shooting badly due to poorly fitting rear guard screws and spacers. Nothing to lose except a little time and ammo.

Spiris

Did any of you read the stuff by Bill Calfee in Precision Shooting magazine over the last year?

He's been writing about what makes rimfire rifles really accurate.

When he gets a new barrel blank he doesn't just cut it at a particular length. He carefully laps it until he finds the narrowest part of the bore and he cuts the muzzle right there - regardless of length.

He's convinced that a barrel that is constricted right at the muzzle is the most accurate barrel.

This is why washed-out Garand muzzles (that are only cleaned at the muzzle) are such a problem. I recently cut one back all the way to the gas cylinder lock and it still didn't clean up the muzzle. Counter boring it finally got it shooting well again.

Counter boring a barrel may leave a burr right at the new muzzle. This burr will create a constriction that might improve accuracy. With enough shooting you'd expect this burr to wear.

Is it possible that your counter bore improved accuracy by creating a temporary muzzle constriction?

Using tight patches it's sometimes possible to tell where the narrow part of a bore is. If its narrow just short of he muzzle you might consider counterboring a bit further.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a die with a very gradual taper that could be used to constrict muzzles slightly?

The other possibility is that you're shooting smaller diameter bullets somehow. Do you have any of the bullets that shot accurately left? If so mike them and compare to the barn door bullets.

My 1917 barely hits the berm with 308s, but is reasonably accurate with 312s.

This is why washed-out Garand muzzles (that are only cleaned at the muzzle) are such a problem.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a die with a very gradual taper that could be used to constrict muzzles slightly?

there were some south korean garands imported that had the muzzles formed down to a smaller size. dunno if kim did it over there or bubba did it over here. I seem to recall the word "rolled" being used to describe the process, but am not certain. they could have been swaged, crimped or rolled.