Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Auction Headaches

911rat

Figured I'd whine a bit.

I bid on and won a receiver sight for a Winchester 94. The Buy It Now price was 65.00. I won it for 54.00. The buyer sent me an invoice for 68.00 (54.00 plus 14.00 shipping). The auction says "buyer pays actual shipping costs". Unless he's shipping overnight, it doesn't cost 14.00 to ship a receiver sight. Though I should have asked him to quote shipping costs before I bid. I think one would reasonably expect shipping to be mush less than 14.00.

Anyway, here's my contact with the seller. I'm a bit miffed but I figure I can find another sight anyway. I'm sure this happens often and at least I didn't lose anything.

6/24 5:35pm

Hi,

I won your auction on Gun broker for the the Lyman 66A sight Auction # 10277XXXX.

As soon as you tell me the shipping costs I'll get a MO out right away.

6/24 11:35pm

We will invoice you in a.m.

Thank you

6/25 11:46am

Congratulations on your purchase, Item #10277XXXX from GunBroker.com.

Please send payment of $68.00 (Item $54.00 + Shipping $14.00) to:

His Address

Phone #: His Phone

The payment must be in the form of money order or cashier's check. After receival of all information and payment, shipment will follow promptly using USPS with insurance. Shipping is to actual street addresses only; no PO boxes. I will send second email with tracking number upon shipment.

Thank You for Your Purchase!

6/25 12:03pm

I made a mistake and relisted the auction without realizing that item was already sold...Please do not send payment. I am sorry for any inconvenience; I hope it is not too much trouble for you. Please respond to let me know you are not sending payment. I just discovered it at this moment.

I would not pay $14 for actual shipping. make him justify the costs. offer to pay the $54 by paypal right now, and start hammering away at the shipping. actual shipping = actual shipping. not shipping and handling. not packaging.

Figured I'd whine a bit.

I bid on and won a receiver sight for a Winchester 94. The Buy It Now price was 65.00. I won it for 54.00. The buyer sent me an invoice for 68.00 (54.00 plus 14.00 shipping). The auction says "buyer pays actual shipping costs". Unless he's shipping overnight, it doesn't cost 14.00 to ship a receiver sight. Though I should have asked him to quote shipping costs before I bid. I think one would reasonably expect shipping to be mush less than 14.00.

Anyway, here's my contact with the seller. I'm a bit miffed but I figure I can find another sight anyway. I'm sure this happens often and at least I didn't lose anything.

6/24 5:35pm

Hi,

I won your auction on Gun broker for the the Lyman 66A sight Auction # 10277XXXX.

As soon as you tell me the shipping costs I'll get a MO out right away.

6/24 11:35pm

We will invoice you in a.m.

Thank you

6/25 11:46am

Congratulations on your purchase, Item #10277XXXX from GunBroker.com.

Please send payment of $68.00 (Item $54.00 + Shipping $14.00) to:

His Address

Phone #: His Phone

The payment must be in the form of money order or cashier's check. After receival of all information and payment, shipment will follow promptly using USPS with insurance. Shipping is to actual street addresses only; no PO boxes. I will send second email with tracking number upon shipment.

Thank You for Your Purchase!

6/25 12:03pm

I made a mistake and relisted the auction without realizing that item was already sold...Please do not send payment. I am sorry for any inconvenience; I hope it is not too much trouble for you. Please respond to let me know you are not sending payment. I just discovered it at this moment.

Thanks for the heads up Spiris, that's a good price but the new Lymans are aluminum. I'm putting it on a pre-64, so I want something old.

And I'm thinking about whether I should inform Gunbroker or just "Neg" him. If I leave him a negative, it might help warn the next guy.

He had three listed. I asked before I bid if one was steel or aluminum, his response was that the one I asked about was aluminum and the others were steel. So I have to think that he knew he had three listed (1 aluminum, 2 steel). the others sold at their "Buy It Now" price.

I think it all comes down to, he wanted his "Buy It Now" price of $65.00 plus 3 bucks for shipping it. So he quoted me $14.00 shipping to make up the difference. Perhaps after he sent the email he thought $14.00 for shipping sounded ridiculous and decided he'd tell me it was already sold and listed in error.