Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Waiting Is Killing Me

spec4 e4

I have order an M1 Garand and M1 Carbine from CMP and they got my order in the system on the 19th of this month. Help me, the waiting is getting worst everyday. How did you guys deal with this pain. I am going nuts just waiting to get my hands around them. I also put an AR-10, made by ArmaLite on layaway. I am going nuts and crazy at the same time. :( Sad part about it, I have never done this. What is going on with me? :o

How long does it take?

Rob

I think it took 2 months to get my Woodless Dane but they were really busy at that time and I got one of the last ones.

You could always check the CMP forum to see when others that ordered around the same time see their status change to processing and shipped.

I went crazy too. About a month in, I started checking estore every day to check the order's status.

When the "Big White Truck" delivered that long box from CMP, I was like a kid at Christmas. :)

Rob,

I go through the same thing every time I buy a gun off an auction site. I only takes about 10 days to do a transaction (I send the money order, they send the gun.) but I'm on pins and needles until it arrrives. If I had to wait 2 months? Pick me up at the funeral home! Waiting is just a plain b*&ch, but we all have to endure it. It's just really hard on us who want it NOW.

Swamp

I know the feeling well, I went through a 7 1/2 month wait for a Class 3 transfer. The hardest part was waiting after I collected my mail late on a Friday night and having to wait until Monday morning to pick it up. I called the home based dealer bright an early Saturday morning and my heart fell out of my butt when his wife said he was out of town for the weekend. I was so excited I called in sick on Monday morning so I didn't have to wait all day. ATF said 3-9 months and occasionally it might go to a year. This was back in the early 70's long before the computer. I was basically told by an ATF agent, don't call us we'll call you. I never got another but my shooting friends did. The second time around they go through much faster.

Last night at the range I was next to a guy shooting an AR-10. Nice gun but it is the most obnoxious thing to be next to with the muzzle brake and a shooter rapid firing. Fortunately it was pretty hot last night, the range wasn't very crowded and we moved to another lane. He was a rude jerk anyway. After throwing brass all over he acted like a kid when the range master asked him to sweep it. I put my spotting scope on his target at 100 yards and have to give the shooter and his rifle credit. When he slowed down he was shooting a pretty tight group.

I tell you what, this has never happen to me where the waiting is killing me. I guess getting my hands around an rifle that was used in WWII is what driving me nuts. The e-mail said 30 days for my order.

As for my AR-10, I will have to run the serial number with ArmaLite, this is an e-mail that I got from them.

Robert,

The charge to look up information in the Fed book is $30 "Letter of Authenticity". What you probably have is a 10TCN which is a non-standard rifle we made in a minimum quantity (usually 200 each) for distributors. Just think of it as the rifle below but with a 16" barrel. The information is from our website www.armalite.com .

10TN

$2,124.00 EA

AR-10(T) RIFLE

Qty: Call to Order

None of our competitors can surpass the superb accuracy and reliability of the ArmaLite AR10(T). No other manufacturer in the industry dedicates itself to the advancement of target auto-loading rifle technology like we do. Nobody.

From enhanced reliability of feeding, extraction and ejection to assuring consistency of cyclic rate, ArmaLite's engineering team continues the company tradition of ground-breaking innovations in the AR design.

The ArmaLite AR-10 rifle line is noteworthy for the fit, finish and beauty of its components as well as its accuracy and reliability.

AWB configured to suit all state requirements.

I always found odds rifles. ;)

Rob

UPDATE: The Garand was shipped today and should get home on Tue by 10:30 A.M. I am leaving early Tue morning. :angry: oh well. They were sold out on the carbine, so I place an order for an IBM and over night it and they have my order. :P Hoping that I get one. Should get one, cause most people mail their thur the post office.

Still driving me up the wall waiting to get my hands on my new rifles. :blink: This is worst then when I was an kid at Christmas morning.

Rob

My mother called me and let me know that my Garand got home today. While I am setting Joplin, Mo. it is still driving me nuts just waiting to get my hands around my new toy. Still have not heard from CMP on the IBM carbine.

As for Patience, Grasshopper, my six. :lol: . Wish I have Snoopy dance. LOL

Rob

Hmmm, as close as you are, why don't you just take a vacation day or two and drive down to Anniston or up the Port Clinton and hand pick you rifles? I can assure you it is a blast, I did it two years ago from sunny, burning California. :rolleyes: Pick yourself up a case or two of ammo while you are at it.