Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Vietnam Veterans Legacy Foundation

Jimro

http://www.vvlf.org/default.php

Col. Bud Day is the President of the organization. The organizational goal is to get the truth out, to debunk the myths of Vietnam currently enshrined in popular culture.

I am blessed that my generation will not have that particular problem of the Vietnam veterans. We have the internet to put our own stories out there without the filter of the mainstream media that was a willing accomplice in the smear campaign against US troops in Southeast Asia.

I've been reading through the article section. Good history there.

Jimro

The BEST thing to KNOW it that anyone, who is able, and refuses to fight for his nation in time of war is dishonorable.

Now except in cases of total war, I exempt men who have families to care for from that rule.

All the excuses of "conscience" are self serving BS.

We are right..they are wrong....case closed

Keep this in mind because sooner or later the liberals are going to start the " baby-killer" dance with your generation.

Don't argue or debate with them...waste of breath..just state.."we are right and you are wrong" and leave it at that.

As a general rule: If a liberal states a political or moral position it is automatically to be considered wrong and or of evil intent.

Nasty lot. liberals .they love mankind..uh..human kind yet approve the wholesale murder of babies while "marching" to save the lives of the foulest murders. Hate guns in the hands of "the People" they are supposed to love while encouraging the formation of armed alphabet agencies under the control of the government they are supposed to hate.

Karl

Karl,

I agree with what you say, but with one caveat. Those conscientious objectors who were drafted and served honorably as medics or other support personnel are not cowards, but men of true faith who served to the utmost extent of their ability.

Growing up in the church of my parents I got to understand a little of what it meant to walk into combat without a rifle. Thomas W. Bennet was the second conscientious objector to be awarded the Medal of Honor.

Here is his citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Cpl. Bennett distinguished himself while serving as a platoon medical aidman with the 2d Platoon, Company B, during a reconnaissance-in-force mission. On 9 February the platoon was moving to assist the 1st Platoon of Company D which had run into a North Vietnamese ambush when it became heavily engaged by the intense small arms, automatic weapons, mortar and rocket fire from a well fortified and numerically superior enemy unit. In the initial barrage of fire, 3 of the point members of the platoon fell wounded. Cpl. Bennett, with complete disregard for his safety, ran through the heavy fire to his fallen comrades, administered life-saving first aid under fire and then made repeated trips carrying the wounded men to positions of relative safety from which they would be medically evacuated from the battle position. Cpl. Bennett repeatedly braved the intense enemy fire moving across open areas to give aid and comfort to his wounded comrades. He valiantly exposed himself to the heavy fire in order to retrieve the bodies of several fallen personnel. Throughout the night and following day, Cpl. Bennett moved from position to position treating and comforting the several personnel who had suffered shrapnel and gunshot wounds. On 11 February, Company B again moved in an assault on the well fortified enemy positions and became heavily engaged with the numerically superior enemy force. Five members of the company fell wounded in the initial assault. Cpl. Bennett ran to their aid without regard to the heavy fire. He treated 1 wounded comrade and began running toward another seriously wounded man. Although the wounded man was located forward of the company position covered by heavy enemy grazing fire and Cpl. Bennett was warned that it was impossible to reach the position, he leaped forward with complete disregard for his safety to save his comrade's life. In attempting to save his fellow soldier, he was mortally wounded. Cpl. Bennett's undaunted concern for his comrades at the cost of his life above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

No greater love hath man than this.

Jimro

"I agree with what you say, but with one caveat. Those conscientious objectors who were drafted and served honorably as medics or other support personnel are not cowards, but men of true faith who served to the utmost extent of their ability."

Jimro

I was not clear in my post, I sometimes write faster then I think, I did not mean to include COs who went in to combat.

My post was aimed at those who stayed home and claimed a moral superiority of "conscience" for their act of sitting out the war.

Karl

So, if I am a hard worker who has not thought it prudent to reproduce yet, I should be drafted, but if I am a worthless slacker doing nothing but cranking out kids, drinking and smoking crack, I shoud be exempt from a draft? Is that what you meant Karl?

Having been drafted once, I clearly remember those of my cohorts that married and reproduced for an exemption. They, and the silver spoon asshats, still gall me. Neither poverty nor sterility should be an excuse to cause harm to an individual. LL

Since You ask, I will tell you what I meant.

When the nation is at war, You enlist. In a limited war, I would exempt fathers.

If the nation is at total war as in WW ll every able bodied man should run to enlist.

If a person becomes a father or a student or any other dam thing else in order to avoid enlisting, he falls under the same odium as a "protester".

If you disagree with the reasons for the war or the way it was waged, you vote the rascals out after victory.

You will note I said "Enlist"?

If the government is doing its job, the reasons for going to war would be clear to a reasonable person.

I know we had a "Draft" from about 1940 till about 1975, but most of that was during during WW II or the Cold war and it was a matter of national survival. I agree that the draft , at that time was unfair, with the exceptions for heads of families that I have noted, I would have drafted, by lottery, all that were needed who did not enlist.

I enlisted and when I came home I had little use for those who had stayed back here.

Any questions?

Karl

"Yes, I have at least one question. What agency would you like to have oversee the determination of whether or not a person Yes, I have at least one question. What agency would you like to have oversee the determination of whether or not a person procreated in order to avoid serving? LL ? LL "

Any one who "procreated in order to avoid serving" is NOT the sort I would want around me in a war, Who in their right mind would? I would rather he was left at home.

So, since I cannot read hearts or minds, I leave that sort of thing to God, I would have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Karl