Military Firearm Restoration Corner

93 Bolt

jimranger4

You will only be required to open the bolftace if the rims do not fit. Some bolts were cut with enough clearance to fit the swede rim with no problems. Others aren't. You could maximize your chances of not having to do any work by using American made brass which usually is undersized.

jimranger4 --

I would be interested in the progress of your project with your 93. I have one with a hashed bore that I will hopefully one day work up the nerve to rebarrel in 6.5X55 myself. So anyone doing this piques my interest!

Of the conversions I've read about, I don't think that most people have too much trouble with clearance on the boltface, though, it's a good point.

Please post how it goes, if you think of it...I am looking for inspiration!

Thanks, and good luck!

Guest MorgansBoss

Jim

I've done two of these conversions and have yet to encounter a problem, although I always use domestic brass/ammo. In fact, using new-surplus barrels from Kebco, it was a simple screw-it-on swap without any headspace problems - as amazing as that sounds. While some don't care for them, I have also gotten in the habit of doing a cock-on-open conversion on pre-M98's as well. They make nice, light, handy rifles in a caliber suited to such guns. I like them! Any M93/94/96 conversion should always stay within the original pressure limits though. There are (particularly M96) conversions out there that well exceed these modest pressures but it is NOT reccomended.

Take the plunge!

I did this swap on a Chilean '95 Loewe, I did not have to open up the bolt face. The rifle went into an old Fajen stock I had and I handloaded to the old '96 pressures (sub 45000 cup). I crowned the barrel, pillar and glass bedded the action. It proved to be a tack driver for a 110 year old action and a 60+ year old barrel and I will not give it up!