Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1909 Peruvian

Sailormilan2

• 1 month later...

Some Argie 1909s were sold by disreputable distributors after running a 30-06 reamer into the chamber, then selling them as 30-0s. The FTC to Monkey Wards to court over this.

Most of the conversions were done following WWII when the U.S. wanted to to take up the political influence which the Germans developed going back to the 1890s by supplying Mausers rifles in 7mm, 7.65mm and 8mm to S. America. Some 7mm barrels were rebored, but, 7.65mm and 8mm barrels were replaced with recontured '03/'03-A3 Sprngfld surpluss barrels. In the 1960s many of these recontured barrels had the breech shortened then rechambered to 7.62 NATO.

Numrich has (or had) some .308 barrels made from '03 30-06 barrels. These have the groove for the '03 rear sight jamb pin extending back into the action due to cutting off the shank of the original '03 barrel to rechamber them to .308. For the most part new barrels were ordered, orignal caliber markings on the receiver were ground and ".30" (Brazil, Chile, Columbia, Peru,ect.) or, "7.62" (Isreal,ect.) was stamped on the receiver and/or stock. Many of the original 7.65mm rifles had previously been converted to 8x57mm by lengthing the magazine box and cutting a vertical groove in the rear face of the front receiver ring to permit the use of charging the magazines with these longer cartridges (Turk Mausers, ect.). FN sold .308 barrels and complete rifles to Isreal. Century Arms imported many Gew98s, rebarreling them to 30-06 and selling them directly to the great unwashed body of the public. A great time was had by all. Bill.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the simplest test would be to remove the handguard and look for original German proof marks on the barrel shank and 7.65 stamped on the top dead center of the barrel reinforce, where it enters the action. This would indicate a rechambered barrel with the original bore which ought to give miserable accuracy, as happened when the NRA tested an Argie '09 rechambered to 30-06. I believe the 1909 is an intermediate action and Turk M1903 bolts may be fitted if necessary. Nice rifles, although most I've seen or worn, or rusted, beyond recognition. I rebarreled one to 30-06, set it into a Browning Safari stock then sold it a fellow who really wanted it. Been there myself, but it gave me money to start over on another and thats the game - right? Bill