Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Spanish 1916

Bob58

I picked up a barreled action in 7x57 for a song and pretty sure it is a Guardia Model 1916. Hoping someone can confirm. I read the internet/surplus rifle desriptions but am still not certain. See pictures.

• small ring, no markings other than 7mm and serial number on left rail
  • turn down bolt
  • left side, middle rail, flat bottom bolt
  • 22"barrell, 7x57
  • post-manufacture thumb slot (a little sloppy)

Overall it just doesn't ooze quality.

post-3097-1217195511_thumb.jpg

post-3097-1217195558_thumb.jpg

post-3097-1217195575_thumb.jpg

post-3097-1217195606_thumb.jpg

post-3097-1217195634_thumb.jpg

can't say for sure what you got but this reminded me of something, theres a bolt for a spanish mauser on gun broker (flat bottom), missing fireing pin and shroud i believe, but the extractor is there. Last time i looked at it it was going for less than 20. Somebody could prob use one :)

Brenden

edit: i'm now the high bidder. I worry about myself sometimes.lol. save for a rainy day i reckon.

Looks like a Spanish M93 short rifle or a M1916. You were lucky and got the hinged floorplate. Somebody also tried to re-shape the charger guides by grinding off the feed lips. This needs some more shaping.

Thanks for your photo of the bolt head. This answered a question for me regarding the chamfer on the lower half of the left locking lug. My 1916 has been shaving brass off the case rims. It has a sharp edge to this lug. I have seen Swede lugs and they have a pronounced chamfer. Now I know the Spanish 93 had it also. Mine must have missed inspection! I will try to reproduce it with some diamond grinding points to solve the problem.

Bob