Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Reflections

Ron J

I've been thinking about this forum alot lately. Thinking how cool it is, how great the members are, how well Tony built it and how lucky I am to have found it. This is because last week I started a project to help out a friend with a screwed up back. A non-firearm project. A day into it I realized there was more to it than I really understood. I want the result to be correct. This guy has done tons for me in the past 25 yrs. So I joined a board dedicated to the stuff this project is made of. I asked 2 questions. The post got 70+ views and 2 answers. Very short answers. On this board I've asked simple questions and more complicated ones. Each time I was flooded with responses on how to or "where to have it done" answers. Prices, books to reference and warnings about some not so good ideas. Answers from basement do-it-yourselfers to those that build and sell all out customs. No embarassments, no pride issues, no bulls&^%. Just solid answers.

I'll always be thankful to this crew for having me as a guest. You guys are more than you think, trust me.

Ron

How true.

I've become aware of the same thing lately after posting on a couple non-gun related boards. Little to no response. It made me think that those boards might be populated with people who don't know or just don't care as much about Mayberry.

Gun owners may just have a deeper Mayberry bond. Then again, we all may have a big bunch of redneck country-boy running through us.

lc

Ron

I've been around here long enough to have taken notice that we don't want to see the other

guy fail at things that matter.

Stock choices, plastic, wood, cheek piece, checkering, these sorts of things are personal

choice items. You will hear plenty of comments on this or that 'looks' nice.

Head space, chambering, scope mounts, crowns, these things matter and especially

the fact that thousands of pounds of pressure are developed inside a chamber held

inches from your face.

I think that we all have a healthy respect for the potential dangers and pitfalls when dealing

with fire arms and since we aren't your typical 'A-hole' we want to see the other guy succeed.

I have no idea what the other fellows project is about, I might suggest that you give our

group a try. Post something under the 'hobbies' section. I've been surprised to find that

some of our group have other hobbies outside gunsmithing. You just might find someone

here knowledgeable on the subject.

Best of luck helping your friend.

Tinker

Both of the above responses make my point exactly. One guy cuts a tree down and turns it into a riflestock. Full length yet. Although it looks great, he wears his heart on his sleeve and asks questions about the last sliver of wood that has to come off. Throws his confusion out there for the world to see. The responses run from full page explanations of minute stock details to a bunch of pictures of originals that few of us would have access to. And Tinker, whose motto is "I hope not to screw this up beyond repair" shows me a stock that was given to him in 6 separate pcs. Then has to show me the joints. In the sun could hardly see them. All while getting ready to eat Tanglewoods tasty pig.

Tinker, the friends project is kinda like chamber pressure concerns. It's a complete brake overhaul on his really neat 66 vette. I've never opened the hood on one and they are really different. I just may question the crew here - I should have thought of that. Straight Shooter has probably done them.