Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Duracoated My First Gun

Brenden

Well I did it, put the duracoat on my first one this morning. It was a 1917 enfield "shop" gun. Man was it rough. Pits in the barrel rusted all to pieces. After a few weeks of cleaning and takin the sand paper to her, i got it looking good enough to finish. I used acatone to degrease and clean, then applied 3 coats of gun blue duracoat to it. Man i wish i would have found this a long time ago, beats the socks off cold blue, and looks a hell of a lot better. Now i just got to finish putting the poly on the stock and then its back to its rightful owner. I tired to talk him out of it, it would make a nice 7mm STW or a 8mm mag, 375 H&H... :D The dreams i have. But i did get two new play toys, two Mex mausers, a 1928 and a 1930, got them for a song, now to just find some bolts. yeah i know good luck. lol. Gave one to my dad, hes got big plans to re-do the stock and re-blue it, but he kinda wants me to put a new barrel on it for him. we need a truck gun, and this may be the ticket. And the 338-06 project is coming along. i may have it done in time to smack a deer. Got my bolts and everything else i need but the trigger now. Now if everything else would fall into place, wish the old lady felt better, shes had a hell of a time lately, and its making it pretty rough on the both of us. All well, this is life i reckon. Everyone have a good day and excuse my novel.

Brenden

Sorry to read about your lady. I hope she will soon be well and yelling at you about buying "Another gun" soon.

Well done on the 1917. If you can, post a few pictures.

take care

karl

P.S. I could not find the novel.

well heres some pics of my work. Theres the duracoated 1917 and the almost done stock, a 03 springfield (all were for the same guy), then theres my 2 new toys, the mexicans. The 03 got some fresh blue, and re-finished the stock, and did some feeding work, and fit. I'm really loving the dura coat, man is it easy to apply and it is smooth as silk. please excuse the crappy pics.

Brenden

Brenden,

I Duracoated a SMLE about two years ago with the exact same formula you used on your Enfield. Here's a couple recommendations I'll pass along to you.

1. Its probably a moot point now, but be sure that the surfaces you apply it to are not smooth. This stuff needs texture to adhere to properly (ie a parkerized finish) and it just does not work well on smooth, polished surfaces. Mine looks OK, but there's spots where mild handling caused the finish to flake off. And it refuses to stick to the corners as well.

2. Also probably a moot point, but keep this stuff off any friction bearing surfaces (bolt ways). Duracoat on Duracoat is not as slick as blued steel on blued steel.

3. Once its applied, be sure to let this stuff set up the recommended length of time. And, while its setting up, don't touch it. Finger prints and scratches are the sux for sure! (Ask me how I know <_< )

On the plus side? Man, once Duracoat sets up, you can't beat this stuff off. Its impervious to finger prints, oil, solvents, mild heat, and hurricanes! It never needs to oiled and it laughs at the rain. I'm sold on Duracoat type finishes, but from my personal experience, I'll be applying it over a parkerized finish next time I do one.

Here's mine:

1.jpg

Good job on yours sir! I'm kinda jealous. I've been so busy with the other 10,000 things I have going on that I haven't touched my guns lately. Keep up the good work!

I tired to talk him out of it, it would make a nice 7mm STW or a 8mm mag, 375 H&H... :D The dreams i have.

I believe it was Don or somebody in the group has or had 1917 Enfield for sale.

I've got two Enfields that are also just dream projects. One I got with the idea of pulling the no name or even caliber stamped 30/06 replacement barrel shoots so good as is with the dime store scope and Mickey Mouse mount I wouldn't feel right doing anything to it. Hopefully by next year I'll get the other Enfield project started. Still haven't decided on a H&H or an 8MM Mag. I might just do 300 H&H just for nostalgia sake as the stock looks like a 1970's type. I surely don't need a 375 or an 8MM Mag either but it sure would be nice I guess to have bragging rights on a portable Howitzer.

I believe it was Don or somebody in the group has or had 1917 Enfield for sale.

I've got two Enfields that are also just dream projects. One I got with the idea of pulling the no name or even caliber stamped 30/06 replacement barrel shoots so good as is with the dime store scope and Mickey Mouse mount I wouldn't feel right doing anything to it. Hopefully by next year I'll get the other Enfield project started. Still haven't decided on a H&H or an 8MM Mag. I might just do 300 H&H just for nostalgia sake as the stock looks like a 1970's type. I surely don't need a 375 or an 8MM Mag either but it sure would be nice I guess to have bragging rights on a portable Howitzer.

I wish you lived closer, you could shoot my .375 all you want. Trust me, build it on a bolt action. You'll appreciate the weight and having that muzzle farther away!!