Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Xs Sights For Mauser

chupiw

Has anyone here installed the XS peep sight on a M98. I was wondering if there is more work than a simple drill and tap for the receiver. I have only seen a few pictures of the sight, and I like the looks of the sight. But, on one picture I saw, It almost looks like you have to machine part of the stripper clip guide down. The picture was not at a good angle, so I might be mistaken. Any information appreciated.

The only unit I'm aware of for mausers requires that you notch the charger hump or remove it in order to fit the sight. I elected to make my own that requires no alterations.

The only unit I'm aware of for mausers requires that you notch the charger hump or remove it in order to fit the sight. I elected to make my own that requires no alterations.

Was it difficult to make? How did it come out, if you don't mind my asking? I might go the same route, because i don' like the thought of removing the charger hump.

Soft Solder.

They work real well too. P1010101.jpg

That setup looks like it would really work well for elk hunting in heavy timber. That is a very nice group too. Looks to be a real solid setup for a utility rifle. Is the Soft solder you are using similar to the Brownells Hi force 44? I have wondered if it would be suitable for mounting sights on a receiver. Looks like it is. I might have to try something similar.

The solder I used then is similar to Hi Force 44 which I use now. It will do fine and stand up to caustic bluing. I set this rifle up as a pig gun and general purpose truck gun hence the iron sights.