Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New To Mausers. Need Advice

baghdaddy202003

I have a Yugo 48 and it is all matching. To my knowledge it was stored after WWII in packing grease. I know my stepdad had to do a lot of cleaning on it when we got it since every crevise was filled with grease. Very good shape except for when I was 15 I marred up the front of the hand guard tryin to take it apart. I shot the gun a good bit when I got it 10 years ago. I joined the army and it sat for about 8 years. No rust or anything so I soaked the stock in easyoff and put it in the oven on low to heat up the stock and release the oils, sanded it after that and finished it with a light coat of natural stain and a mat polyeuthrane. LOOKS GREAT.

Now for what I really want to do to a beat up Yugo 48.

I would like to purchase another 48 and throw the barrel, stock, trigger, and sights and bore the chamber to a 8mm-06. I have the stock covered to Boyd stocks (who I used for my Garand makeover). I am having a little trouble finding a trigger. My stepdad is a gun guru and is going to help a little with the project but wants me to do the grunt work. Neither of us have done a mauser before. He has done countless other rifles. Including many Garands. Hes kind of left this to me and I am kind of lost. Any advice on my new endeavor.

Thanks,

Robert

You will have fun converting a Model 48!

1. Buy a Brownells catalog. The price is refunded when you purchase anything from them.

2. The M48 is too short for the '06 series of cartridges. If you are going to chuck the barrel anyway, convert it to a different caliber. If you need a list of cartridges that are suitable, ask.

3. Timney makes a trigger, and Brownells sells it.

Good luck!

Clemson

I agree with clemson, the m48 is too short of an actin to do a 8-06. I use vz24's,k.kales and m98's. just my yakin..Dave

You will have fun converting a Model 48!

1. Buy a Brownells catalog. The price is refunded when you purchase anything from them.

2. The M48 is too short for the '06 series of cartridges. If you are going to chuck the barrel anyway, convert it to a different caliber. If you need a list of cartridges that are suitable, ask.

3. Timney makes a trigger, and Brownells sells it.

Good luck!

Clemson

Hey Clemson,

That was intresting to find out that the '06 wont work in it. I will have to tell my stepdad. I know he necks down the 30-06 instead of buying 8 mm brass, he hasnt found any 8mm brass that was as cheap as 30-06 and says its easier for him to just neck 'em down. What do you think about a 308? Well better yet what are the suitable cartridges for it.

Thanks again,

Robert

Instead of buying a beater M48 spend $25 extra and get a new rebuilt one. then shoot the heck out of the 8x57. It is false economy trying to save a few pennies, litterally, using '06 brass. the cost of rechambering or rebarrelling will never be offset by brass savings. truthfully, there is almost no difference between the 8mm-06 and the 8x57.

it is one thing to form 8x57 brass from '06, I do it for many of my less common cartridges.