Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gone To The Dark Side

flaco

Okay, it's true: I've gone to the dark side.

I've been shooting 600 yards off the bench every chance I get this summer.

About once a month.

Being selfish--and divorced, no more wife to buy me presents--I got myself a target rifle for my 60th--Yikes!!!--birthday.

It's 6.5x47 Lapua, a relatively new chambering.

It's a sweet cartridge, and one that will probably feed in a Mauser, although my rifle is a single shot, no ejector, with one of those heavy barrels I thought I'd never have.

Anyway, I've been shooting monthly matches since June. A nice group of guys, all helpful.

And I've been frustrated.

I wasn't getting the results I wanted.

Finally, I took Wednesday morning off--our boss is a shooter, too, so he sanctions shooting holidays--and met a veteran at the range. He gave me some good advice concerning mechanics: bags, technique, etc.

I had a load I liked, but wasn't certain on seating depth.

(As an aside, when our shop fits a barrel, we cut a dummy chamber in a barrel stub. This allows very accurate bullet seating.)

Turned out, my rifle likes this particular load with the bullet seated at the lands.

Results?

Best group, five rounds 2.2" at 600 yards.

I know this isn't even close to big guys.

But I was very pleased.

flaco

2.2 @ 600 yds? Wow - very cool. I don't do bench rest, but I've shot twice at The 1,000 meter deal in PA with those guys. I think my best was 12" or so with a friends gun. I couldn't come close to affording that hobby, but I thought it was cool as hell and had a ball.

Congrats and have fun.

Gosh flaco,I don't see a dark side to bench shooting,and think it's great that you can afford it and have folks to help you get started.I reckon we all could afford it if we chose to have one bench rifle or 100 surplus guns.Having both would be a dream.Congrats and keep us informed,'cause we don't want to have to wait for the next Olympics to see how your doing. Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Az... in our monthly match a couple of weeks ago I shot a 1.800" for score.

And, like all target guys, I think there's room for improvement.

As an aside, I was beaten for best group, by the guy I usually shoot with. He shot a 1.599" using a rifle similar to mine. Just a different barrel.

Same chambering.

I am absolutely hooked.

As my shooting buddy says, "100 yards is for sissies."

LOL.

flaco

This is always something i've wanted to do but i don't have money or time enough to do it. I've alwasys consisered my 308 a good shooter with 1/4-1/2 inch groups being the normal everytime one shoots. I keep looking for a few matches around my area and ask around but no luck. Just like to go to one even if i didn't win the knowlege i'd take home would be astounding. I've been thinking hard about building a shooting house and clearing about a 3-4 hundred yard rideaway to shoot in, but havn't done it yet. Flaco, how do you like the 6.5x47 round? is it based on the same case as the 6x47mm? Good luck shooting and keep up the tiny groups.

Brenden

Flaco, guess I'm a big sissie!! Today I'm doing good just seeing past a hundred. I used to do long range shooting but it was at metal dongs. It was allot of fun especially doing weird things like shooting 2-300 yards with a 45 auto or 38 Special at a man size dong and awaiting for some noise from the dong. Between the time for the slow moving bullet and the speed of sound there was quite a time gap. On the rare hit with a handgun we often found the slug by the dong as there wasn't enough oomph left for it to bounce. We used to also do allot of long distance shooting via iron sights with mil-surp rifles. With a good shooting mil-surp rifle shot from laying or kneeling position the man sized dong wasn't all that hard to hit at distance up to 400 yards but usually in the 250-350 range if their wasn't any wind to deal with. Have to admit though it was allot easier hitting the long distance dong when I was in my early 20's.

I'm sitting here typing with reading glasses from Wally World,and am needing a stronger pair,but my way out yonder vision is still very good,and I sure would love to have a try at some distance shooting,but like Brenden,I don't know of anywhere close. Jerry

Brenden-

The 6x47L is actually a necked down 6.5x47 Lapua. When the chambering came out about three years ago, most of the accuracy nuts put an emphasis on using the larger case size to move 6mm bullets faster.

[As an aside, you may be referring to the 6x47 that was a necked-up .222 magnum. This was a very popular short range chambering until the advent of the 6mm PPC. My shooting buddy still has a 40 year old 40X, and is relatively competitive with the 100 yard range nuts.]

As it turns out, the original may be better, because of the ability to move the higher B.C. 6.5 bullets at better speeds.

Thus better performance in the wind.

As to eyes, well, I'm 60. I have one of the new Sightron 8-32x56 scopes, and it's considered comparable to the Night Force. At about half the price.

My boss shot on the Palma Veterans Team a couple of years, so we do sell a lot of Palma--long range, iron sights--rifles.

Az, the club I'm shooting at has an unusual program: We shoot paper targets first, and then Silhouettes at 600 yards. It's amazing how many of those animals get away.

But a blast to knock them down.

All-in-all, I'm having a great time. This is not my home club, but adjacent, about an hour away up a windy mountain road with 2,000 ft. drop-offs. The greatest danger on coming home is the red-hot sport bikes that use this road as their own personal track.

It's really beautiful country, not at all what others think of as Southern California.

And all the members are supportive.

We had a new guy a couple of months ago, who was having trouble getting on paper. One of the event organizers said, "Okay you guys, let's help Tom get shooting."

And they did.

Aren't gun nuts great?

flaco

Flaco, that really sounds neat. I know i could never compete with the big dogs with my gun, but every time i take it to the range at school, people are astounded by the accuracy and love to shoot it. In other words, they'd crap themselves if one was to shoot 600 yards like you and have the groups that you do. I think i'll clear some woods and make a nice 300 yard range. I knocked off many ground hogs this year at 250-300 yards with the longest being a touch over 400 yards. This is all done by driving up and down the road in my car and placing the barrel out the window (even the 400 yarder!). I know my gun well, even though a 308 is a little much for rock chucks, i love it! I've always been intrested in the 6.5 line of bullets. They have some unreal B.C's and inheriet accuracy potential. I've often pondered the 22-6mm, good b.c's high velocity's and many say astounding accuracy. I've got a mauser that needs a new barrel any way.... ;) Although i know one could never shoot comp with a reworked mauser, maybe i'll pick up a savage or rem action? Take care and watch the speeders.

Brenden