Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mexican "Troops" in the US?

roscoedoh

I was told today that Vincente Fox sent up some troops and aid people from Mexico to help us out with the recovery efforts along the Gulf Coast. Is there any truth to this?

Yeah, it's true.

But the newspaper got it wrong when they stated that this was the first time since 1846 that Mexican troops entered the US.

Don't they remember Pancho Villa and his raid on Columbus, NM?

But these are unarmed troops. They are going to help the situation. Mexico has sent their troops into other countries to help out in disasters, but this is the first time for them to send them to the US for this.

Reckon old Fox is trying to send a message (or a plea bargain)? When he cleans up the mess Katrina caused, he can reroute the troops to Goliad county Texas to take care of his own Mexicans over her (illegally by the way).

This first contingent is to San Antonio where many refugees are right now. In the article, it was mentioned that San Antonio is probably the largest Mexican populated city in America.

At least they got that one right!

fritz

I wonder if these troops are made up of some "undesirables" not unlike the Cubans that were "allowed" to leave Cuba in the early '80s...so that Fox, like Castro will have the last laugh when these people stick around and make a mess of things.

That's not as racist a comment as you might think, BTW. I personally don't care what their race, creed, color, language or even sexual orientation is, I just prefer that people come to our nation legally, or at the very least try to be here legally...otherwise, don't bother coming. It makes no difference to me if these folks are white, black, brown or 30 shades of purple!

TwistJG26, have you eaten authentic tacos in Mexico? I have...and sorry, but I prefer our adulterated versions...at least there are less flies and more actual identifiable meat on ours! Which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy eating in Mexico, I did...very much...but in my opinion, authentic Mexican food is vastly different than much of what we call Mexican food here in the United States.

Twist,

I live in Texas which is full of authentic Mexicans.

They cook all the food here so I guess all the food I eat when I dine out is authentic Mexican food. tongue.gif

However, the Tex-Mex place I usually eat at, which serves great cheap Mexican food and has great service, is owned and run by real Mexicans. I usually order and pay my tab in Spanish.

And, the real authentic Mexican food I ate while in both Matamoros and Cabo San Lucas sucks; bad sucks! Dry...bland...lacking queso...no spice...and no free beer (only free tequila which I can't drink for health reasons). Frankly, I think you're better off with your Iowan Mexican food than the real stuff. In Mexico, it blows...

If you want the best real Mexican food, you have to go to a real Mexican's house. I dated a hispanic girl once who liked to cook and I've been over to some of my buddy's houses for supper. The cuisine is superb! As is the hospitality.

-----------

Awe shucks! Its a Saturday night. I think I'll break out the tortillas and refried beans and cook up some fajitas! Thanks for the inspiration for supper amigos!

Jason

I once travelled all over Mexico, and found, much to my surprise, that most authentic Mexican foods are fairly bland, and usually heavier on cheese than meats. The food is very regional, so that if you are in a community near the ocean, you get lots of fish dishes like ceviche or a simple grilled whole fish with beans, rice and tortillas...or if you are more inland, you get the ubiquitous tacos or meat dishes and things like menudo.

I developed my enjoyment of fresh corn tortillas in Mexico, where I never had a flour tortilla...and to this day I seek out the freshest corn tortillas I can find and eat them quickly, and I still prefer them to flour tortillas.

Now, when I speak of Mexican food in toto, I mean food to the exclusion of what can be had in the touristy places in Mexico because, as Roscoedoh put it, it can really blow.

The best food I ever ate in Mexico was in a little town down the coast east of Acapulco, it was grilled red snapper, with sides of refried black beans, tasty rice and corn tortillas. There probably weren't any hot peppers or Tabasco sauce within 100 yards of this place, but it was always busy with locals who liked fresh seafood.

The only place I ever saw people eating really hot peppers was in the Yucatan, where the field workers would fire-roast habaneros and roll them into corn tortillas to eat for lunch...no thanks...I wisely declined trying this little delicacy when it was offered to me!

I have to concur with the home-cooking that many Mexicans do being the best of Mexican cuisine...around the holidays it's often a tradition that tamales are made and shared with friends and family, and man, the tamales are usually incredibly good!

Tamales are my very favorite Mexican food...I don't even have them with sauce of any sort...I just like cheese or chicken tamales plain! I used to like the pork version, but had to give them up...but I don't feel like I am lacking with all the different kinds I can find at a local Mexican supermarket!

OK, it's now almost 1:30