Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What would you do?

swamp_thing

I have read all the posts here about NO and the surrounding area and the fallout effects of it. The case of the people being disarmed and trucked out seems to be a real issue. How would you handle this situation if you were involved. I for one figure that it is simply a matter of the folks there totally mishandling the thing to begin with. Leaving all matters of race or ethics out of it, here are my thoughts.

When a situation such as New Orleans arrises, it seems totally obsurd to stay around, guns in hand, waiting for someone to show up and disarm you and haul you out. As has been stated repeatedly, many of the folks there had no way to leave. But what of those that simply would not. First off, what was left to stay for? If you do, and you are directly disobeying orders to evacuate, aren't you already sitting yourself up for the obvious? And when they do come get you, do you think they are going to say get in the boat with your weapons? Come on, these folks are already fired up and looking for a fight.

Faced with the situation that arose in the gulf area, it would seem that the prudent thing to have done was to properly arms ones self, then leave the area prior to it becoming the mess that it did. What would be the best for yourself and your family? As I already said, some could not leave, but a vast number were and are still there out of simple choice, and a poor one at that. Seems that in this case, as with others, they are the product of their own poor choices. I do not and will not condone disarmament, but given this situation, I sure wouldn't want to be the ones trying to move a bunch of pissed off armed civilians. They are already looking for a reason to do harm.

I guess what I am saying in all this is that the best alternative would be to load up the family and get the heck out of Dodge, of course adequetely protected, but on your own terms instead of the terms of others. What are everyones thoughts as to this? Please remember that I refer to those that would not leave when they could have.

Freepeople have the right to come and go, leave or stay as THEY please.

It is not the job of the government to treat them as "the masses" or as foolish children who have to be forced to wash their hands before dinner.

Karl

Karl, I do agree with you that freedom means that you do as you wish, not be herded. Not an argument there at all. It is unfortunate that too many times big brother decides for us what we as adults should already know. However, once one is ordered to evacuate and you are aware of what is to come, then the only logical choice I see is to get yourself to an area that no longer puts you in eminent danger of having someone else choose for you. Truly, they have already made the first choice so why would one assume that they won't follow through with the next. It seems totally unreasonable to sit back and wait for the next occurance. We have all seen from past experience that our rights are dwindling one by one and it is likely that unless all Americans stand together they will continue to do so.

What are the chances that we can all come together for a common goal? Most often, we can't even agree on what is right or wrong. In light of what I have stated, I stand by my former thoughts that one is better off to get out of Dodge and make one's own stand on their grounds, not on the terms of others. It seems that those that stay and wait to be hauled out, unarmed, are indeed the foolish children here. swamp thing

What I would like to think I would do is, prepare, as much as possible for the event at hand, get my BOB in order, pack up my essentials and any of the things that I really feel I need to keep nearby and then stay where I am to weather the storm, so to speak.

Once the event occurred, and I'd survived it, I would then evaluate the situation and make my decision to bail or stick it out for a few days. But I sure wouldn't wait for anyone to come along to disarm me...I would hope that I had developed the resources, or whatever was needed to assure a timely exodus on my own terms, and with the items I feel are critical to my continued sense of well-being, whether guns, photographs, computer backups, my pets or a bag of hammers if I am so inclined.

Of course, this little plan really only considers an idealized situation, if one can say that about something catastrophic, but that's what I would hope that I could manage in a tough scenario like that in New Orleans right now!

Emul8, that would be a logical plan as well, with only one exception that I can see. In the case at hand, many that stayed found themselves unable to leave after the flooding. At that point, then the choice becomes only to turn over to those that are hauling you out unarmed, or to choose to fight and hope to win. Maybe there are no good answers, and of course we can all speculate as to what we would do. Really I suppose none of us know.

Unregistered quest, I don't believe I said you or anyone else inlisted. Further, it was not the military that ordered the evacuation but rather the not so fine mayor of NO. If this touched a nerve, then I must assume that it has a personal meaning to you. While what I have said had no purpose of offending others, I suppose it may have. I don't however wish to have what I said construed to be something other than what it was. Now if you can point out where I said the military ordered you out, then I stand corrected. swamp thing

You can always purchase new firearms

For how long?

Until Big Brother decides that for: A. public health ..B. National security..C. Public order..D. Protection of the children..Etc ..You cannot buy any.

Recall the fate of Germany.

Once your guns are out of your hands...your chains are on your ankles.

Question..Who is going to get all that land in NO?

I see condos...and malls..and big bucks in city hall ph34r.gifph34r.gif

Karl

I think I may have not fully made my case in my last reply to this thread, swamp thing.

For example, if I lived in New Orleans I meant to suggest that in making preparations I would need some sort of inflatable boat or something and would have planned for that. Whether as a means of escape once the situation became unbearable, or truly the only way to evacuate, if I were a resident of that particular city, I can't see not preparing for the worst.

The biggest kink in these works is that there was plenty of time for those who had the resources to leave the city before Katrina hit, but many didn't. Of course, it's been said before, many area residents just thought that nothing significant would happen.

I just can't see that if one was living in a place like New Orleans and if one had at least SOME resources available, that adequate preparation wouldn't have rendered the need to hole up in one's home moot. I have thought this over and over and the answer is still the same.

I grew up in Oklahoma, and all of my life every time the tornado warning sirens went off, we'd go to the nearest cellar and wait for the storm to pass. We didn't do this like lemmings, jumping off the cliff into the sea just because someone said so...we did it in order that should the worst occur, we might survive it. Maybe it becomes ingrained, but if I lived in an area like the gulf coast region, I would take the hurricane warnings to heart, since the warnings aren't issued just to mess with people's heads.

Like I said before, maybe I am idealizing the situation, as much as it can be, but I still believe that another classic adage is true: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Well said Emul8 and I totally agree. Was raised in tornado country as well, (nebraska), and fully understand that warnings were just that. They meant what they were telling you and one needed to heed the warnings. You are right that a raft of something would be prudent if living in a low area subject to severe flooding. I figured you were referring to getting yourself ready to go, but was only meaning so many did not. It only reinforces the need for planning according to your locality, which was mentioned in another post. The amount of warning time on a hurricane is days, while a tornado is minutes at best. Even at that most people are prepared and avoid injury or death from these storms. Granted a tornado wouldn't cover the vast area and most likely would not creat this amount of chaos but the fact that good planning is a must still remains. swamp thing

For example, if I lived in New Orleans I meant to suggest that in making preparations I would need some sort of inflatable boat or something and would have planned for that

With the gangs of thugs roaming around NO after the flood, I doubt if you would have that raft very long. Most likely some "looter" would force you out of it and become a pirate in addition to a "looter".

In addition, I bet that this same gang of thugs would just as likely take your BOB away from you. After all, many of these "looters" are just plain wackos, like mrs fritz explained to me when I asked her what makes these thugs do this. She explained that there are a lot of just plain crazy people out there (some on drugs) and will do anything.

When we were discussing BOBs, did we mention to keep a .45 in it? It may have come in useful in order to protect not only yourself, but the BOB too.

fritz

I perfer an SKS for my bugout weapon to a pistol.

Good rate of fire, accurate enough, and it is reliable without a lot of cleaning.

Karl

I have a feeling that any gang that tried to take Emul8's raft or bob, would rather shortly find themselves beyond the need for earthly goods. smile.gif

With my luck, if I were confronted with a pack of thugs intent upon pirating my little boat, I would probably whip out my bug-out weapon and shoot a hole in the craft, sinking it, my precious BOB and whatever else was in it! LOL!

All kidding aside, I figure that the thugs gotta sleep sometime, and I would try to stealthily sneak out under some sort of cover...and yes, I would be armed with a pistol on my person and either an SKS or maybe one of my beater Mosin-Nagant M44s in my BOB.

At the point of such a dire set of circumstances, I believe that all bets are off, and while I consciously wouldn't want to shoot someone trying to take my stuff away from me, I don't think I would hesitate if it came down to me versus them trying to separate me from my only earthly possessions/sustenance.

Maybe another "key" to this possible scenario is to look as unkempt and pathetic as possible whilst evacuating...sort of a "catastrophy camo"?

"catastrophy camo"?

Emul8

Yeah, that is a useful idea. Back in the 70's I was working at night and going to school in the Bronx.

I made it a point to wear ratty old jeans and a fieldjacket.

One night, as I was walking to the subway, I heard a gang of thugs on the stoop talking.

One said " what about him?"

The leader said. "sh8t can't you see that M===F===aint got nothing".

Camo can take many forms biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Karl

While you all have it correct that in many situations the ragtag look works, but ain't it a sad state of affairs when we have to resort to that?

At least you won't get charged with discrimination when you dress up like them!

As for me, I always like to dress for the occasion (which may include a tux, or camo of some sort). Depends on the situation.

But I never got the idea of dressing like a drug addict. Maybe some of those we see around us that look like that are really "undercover "?

fritz