Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I got a bad fracture

FC

I am typing this with a finger on my left hand. I fell about 4 ft. off our terraced back yard after landing wrong on the logs below. I've never broken anything before. The pain was horrible for 4 hrs. until I went to the OR. I have 3 pins for 30 days. The right radius has a comminuted fracture, with fragments. The bone was side by side. The pain wasn't being controlled, so the doc gave a lidocaine shot right into the fracture site. I hit my head on concrete, and thigh on logs, but they are ok. Theoretically out of work 30 days.

com'minuted frac'ture

a fracture of a bone in which the separated parts are splintered or fragmented

Well, at least your cabeza is still intact. What's going on around here with the painful appendage injuries?

I've got two really good 30-06 case brands in my forearms from last week's Garand match. I didn't notice the burning because of really bad forearm jellyfish stings from the week before. I just thought it was sweat in the sting wounds. Note to self - never wear short sleeves during a Garand match.

I am so sorry, Tony. I hope you heal up completely and fast. The thought of shattered arm bones makes my butt sweat. Some times opioids are called for.

Hey Tony:

Get well soon buddy. I'll bet that you are right handed also, which rules out any shooting for awhile. Time to do some catch up with the family. Take the wife and kids shooting, sightseeing, that sort of thing. Make something good out of the bad. Good luck and heal up soon.

Rebel49

Tony, sure sorry to hear that you are winged at this time. Things can happen so fast and with every passing year the results are a bit more predictable. Know that you will have our prayers for quick recovery. Hang in there buddy and as already stated, take advantage of the extra family time.

Jeez, you mentioned the wife ask about all the time you spend on the computer with the site, but this is a drastic measure to modify that.HA Seriously take care of that arm and keep it elevated. Had a bennet fracture many years ago which I had pinned together. The very next day I thoughtlessly tried to open a car door with it and shattered it again. Second surgery and much swelling and pain taught me better real quick. I learned how to keep it elevated and not use it for the next several weeks. I quess the moral to this is stay off them terraces until you get healed. swamp thing

Maybe we should rename this board "Military Firearms Owners Restoration Corner", AKA "The Infirmary"!

You guys need to be careful out there...I am starting to worry about you!

Think I'll back off talking about it now...I don't want to curse myself!

I'll just leave it at this...FC, I wish you a very speedy recovery, despite the bone fragmentation and the pain. Take care, and above all...take Percocet!

I can add something to the post about not wearing short sleeves to a rifle match--never wear short pants while hauling hay bales.

Yesterday morning (I should have checked my horoscope first) I had some hay ready to bale. I was intending to use the tractor with AC and the round baler, but the damned hydraulic clutch went out on it. So I went to plan B and went over to hook up my square baler on a smaller tractor. The baler had a flat tire, no big deal, but after getting that fixed, it was looking more like rain. They had just put in the prediction of 60% rain the night before.

I was in a hurry to get started, so just wore the short pants I had on for the AC tractor. Then immediately after getting it baled, mrs fritz brought the trailer out and we started hauling it up. As I was bucking a bale onto the trailer with my knee, I felt something jab into my kneecap.

I still don't know what it was, maybe the pigtail of wire that lays on the edge of the bales. I didn't see a thorn, and it went in deep. I finished that load and then picked up another. Since I was out of trailers now, I left the rest of the hay in the field.

But now that damned knee is stiffening up on me and I'll be walking with a "gimp" for a few days. I found some pain pills left over from the snake bite (maybe the same as the ones Tony mentioned) and that helped.

Gave me good reason to lay around and watch a couple college games. How about those Longhorns! They had another one of their cliffhangers, this time with Ohio State (whom they had never played).

Now I'll have a good excuse to waste a little time at the computer (as if I needed it).

fritz

Emul, we could call it, "Das Krankenhaus" (the hospital). Percocets help, but sleep is hard. I've never had this much postop pain.

Fritz, I don't like the sound of that. Is infection setting in? Were you able to get that poke to bleed a bit to clean it out?

I can add something to the post about not wearing short sleeves to a rifle match--never wear short pants while hauling hay bales.

Yesterday morning (I should have checked my horoscope first) I had some hay ready to bale. I was intending to use the tractor with AC and the round baler, but the damned hydraulic clutch went out on it. So I went to plan B and went over to hook up my square baler on a smaller tractor. The baler had a flat tire, no big deal, but after getting that fixed, it was looking more like rain. They had just put in the prediction of 60% rain the night before.

I was in a hurry to get started, so just wore the short pants I had on for the AC tractor. Then immediately after getting it baled, mrs fritz brought the trailer out and we started hauling it up. As I was bucking a bale onto the trailer with my knee, I felt something jab into my kneecap.

I still don't know what it was, maybe the pigtail of wire that lays on the edge of the bales. I didn't see a thorn, and it went in deep. I finished that load and then picked up another. Since I was out of trailers now, I left the rest of the hay in the field.

But now that damned knee is stiffening up on me and I'll be walking with a "gimp" for a few days. I found some pain pills left over from the snake bite (maybe the same as the ones Tony mentioned) and that helped.

Gave me good reason to lay around and watch a couple college games. How about those Longhorns! They had another one of their cliffhangers, this time with Ohio State (whom they had never played).

Now I'll have a good excuse to waste a little time at the computer (as if I needed it).

fritz

3657[/snapback]

Tony,

It bled out pretty good, and I washed it down good with soap and water, then alcohol. Been keeping an antibiotic ointment on it and keeping it clean. Mrs fritz isn't too concerned about it, just wish I knew what went in there.

At least it ain't as painful as your fracture. I'm probably not getting as many wounds as I used to as a kid. But at my age, they seem to heal slower.

fritz

And we thoght we had it bad!

Thanks Swamprat.

I am spending more time with Barbara, which is nice.

Tony  &  Fritz

We are the terrible trio. I got the bad news last wed. from the Doc. i have to wear the darn cam 2 walker brace for another month.

Foot is not healed enough i still have seepage out of top of foot and its still swollen from all the trauma from the hard impact of that pig roaster lid launched by tractor frontloader at hyperspeed youch.  Tony yes it will hurt for probably atleast a week or 2 keep it elevated but ofcourse you know this.  For me it sucked cause to go to bathroom if i put foot to floor it got blood rushed in and yeow it would light up on fire and feel like it was going to popfor first 15 mins of day when i had to get ready to get dropped of at my parents with my kids so i could rest there in recliner and someone could bring me food water and empty wiz vessel so i didn't have to put foot down too much it was like hell. i have went thru 20  vicodin  30 percoset and adain about 20 vicodin before it got better enough i could tough out the pain i was not happy i had to take that much was worried i would get addictied but i didn't so that was a good thing. now i am working on new house but not supposed to but we need to get into it before winter i will not buy oil for heat when i have FREE Nat gass for new house it just hard to build 10 ft walls with this on my right foot and i am right dominate i can do most anything with left tied behind my back lol .

So tony and Fritz i feel for ya iwill be sidelined for 2 months fefore i can get this off my foot. just in time to get back into groove to go out for our season opener for ducks on oct 8th. i would go no matter what i would die if i missed that been going for 29 years straight.

Rod

3683[/snapback]

I just got to thinking that maybe it isn't such a bad thing that everyone around here is suffering non-lethal injuries. It demonstrates a general level of activity and engagement with the environment. You guys are doing things. The injuries suffered are evidence of industry. This is a very good thing in that it bucks the trend of our society becoming more sedentary. These types of injuries are in a way hopeful for our nation. I applaud the recent acquistion of red badges of activity and industry.

On the other hand, I do think that shattered bones and feet may be taking it a bit too far, and I encourage you all to maybe temper your ambition just a bit - maybe to the flesh wound level. fritz is pushing it with the envenomation.

smile.gif

In a few more years,maybe not a few,you'll be reading about some of us older fellers falling and breaking a hip and having to go to a nursing home and we'll just give up and die.How many times have you heard that?Jerry

Jerry,

That part about the broken hip is true, when it comes to old age. It seems that all too often that happens to the aged. And that broken hip heals so slowly when a person is old. My grandmother suffered one, and she was never the same again.

Right now, I'll gladly take another snake bite over a broken hip. Or a broken anything over a hip. There is something about that injury that breaks old people in other ways.

fritz

Tony,

Sounds like the snake bite that caused by hand and arm to swell up.

Elevation above your heart is the clue. Hell, get a faux heil Hitler elevation to the arm if necessary.

My friends at the club fixed me up with a prop on my bar stool so I could hold the arm up. Even put a sign on the bar stool "Herb's stool" so nobody else sat in it!

fritz