Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Can I Turn Over A 357 Maximum?

littlecanoe

I was in a local gun/pawn shop today and they have a 347 Maximum Ruger Black Hawk for sale. I didn't get to examine the cylinder strap but will do so. If I recall, the asking price is 399$

Is this one that I can buy and turn over for a small gain? I've researched a bit and it seems that this action is nice for building on. I really don't know much about the caliber. Any ideas?

I have a 357 Maximum in a 10" TContender and I've taken a deer with it. It's a great performing cartridge. It was probably a Super Blackhawk that you saw. I remember the controversy with the top strap cutting on some revolvers and seemed to be worse in stainless models. It seems to be a situation that you can live with by tightening the cyl. gap and using heavier bullets. I use the 180gr Hornady single shot pistol bullet with Rel-7 anyways. Here's a link to a discussion about it. Perhaps you have already seen it.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=41204

Spiris

I used to shoot hunter pistol with a guy south of Houston. He had a 357 Maximum TC that he used for center fire. He really liked the 357 diameter bullets. He had no trouble knocking down the big rams with it.

I remember the Blackhawk issue with the top strap, way back then. All that flame eroded the top strap.

I've researched a bit more and found that there were issues with the strap eroding. The erosion appears to come from the hot rodding of light bullets to push greater than 2k fps. Seems that the pistol was built for heavier bullets in the 180gr range with more moderate velocities.

I'll check the strap on Monday if it's still there.

I've researched a bit more and found that there were issues with the strap eroding. The erosion appears to come from the hot rodding of light bullets to push greater than 2k fps. Seems that the pistol was built for heavier bullets in the 180gr range with more moderate velocities.

I'll check the strap on Monday if it's still there.

Well, I got the thing. Traded a Taurus 608 357 Mag for it. I had to step up the boot but that's OK with me. Now I can shoot the Magnum and then the Maximums when I get set up to reload.

I decided to get it after watching one on Gunbroker be bid to 500 and fall short of the reserve. It's back up now with a 600 bid on it.

Part of what made my decision was the quality of this old Ruger, 1983 build, to the Taurus which is 3 yo. I'm starting to want fewer quality weapons instead of a bunch of less expensive ones; and be able to shoot what I have with skill.

Any recommendations on a good leather shoulder rig to carry this hoss. It has a 10.5" barrel :blink:

Any recommendations on a good leather shoulder rig to carry this hoss. It has a 10.5" barrel :blink:

I have a 10 inch Super Blackhawk in 44 mag and I strongly recommend a shoulder rig. The long barrel is just to dam cumbersome from the waist. Looking forward to pictures. Congrats on the find!!

EDIT: I also highly recomend the Hogue rubber grips. It could just be I lucked out but they fit my hand almost perfectly. I tried Pachmeyer and they just didn't feel right even though they cost apx 20 bux more.

I was looking at Midways site last night and saw the Hogue grips. The reviews were very good for improved grip, sight line and accuracy.

I'll check out the bianci and galco. Wish that I could find them locally.

Will put up a pic or 2 when able.

littlecanoe, do you have plans for a scope? I have an old Bushnell Phantom 2.5x on my Contender and it works for these old eyes. I have it sighted in @ 125 yds. to take advantage of the fairly flat shooting round. Recoil is close to the 44 Mag, so good grips are important. I have a set of Pachmayr grips and forend on mine. I just use my old Lyman 38/357 dies to size the cases as the sizing die is more than long enough to do the job. You just have to adjust the bullet seater for the long case. I do not crimp, being a single shot.

You're going to love the gun and round, it's kind of a mini 35 Rem. :D

Spiris

Great info Spiris!

Tell me more about your seating set up. I have old, I believe CH 38/357 dies. Could they be made to load the longer brass? I'd have to be talked through that process. Are you having to trim brass since it's a straight wall?

I took it to the range and shot about 24 sub max handloads in 357 magnum. That rounded grip made it roll right up in my hand. I'm surprised at how much bite the recoil had with the 158 gr XTP's. I plan on ordering brass and 180gr XTP's soon. I believe that the 10.5" barrel is really gonna make this gun rock. I definitely plan on a Hoague grip to control the beast.

What powder and bullet are you shooting?

Right now I plan on leaving it open sights. I can see the bifocals in the near future but so far can keep the irons focused.

I'll be darned littlecanoe, it is a Blackhawk. I thought they only made the 357 Max in Super Blackhawks.

You'll have to give your dies a visual to see if it has a long enough sizing barrel to accommodate the long case. My Lyman does. I use the 180gr psp Hornady Single Shot Pistol bullet under 22gr. of Rel-7 powder. H-110 and W296 will give slightly higher velocities possibly, but only exacerbates the erosion problem being ball powders. Most loading data will be for TC's but will be fine in your gun. Your choice of XTP's should be good too. Seating and crimping will be trial and error at first with your current dies, but should be doable, just back out the seater in the press. Case trimming hasn't been an issue for me, but I do have a Lyman trimmer if needed. Some loads listed on Ammoguide can get 2000+fps with 180gr in the 14" barrels.

I have had 357 Mag, 41Mag and 44 Mag single action revolvers and know the "recoil roll" and know that good replacement grips make a positive difference.

Here's some data from reloadersnest site.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage_han...sp?CaliberID=31

I always recommend joining Ammoguide.com, as it is a wealth of information for nearly 700 calibers with links to dozens of useful sites. It has 93 loads for the 357 Max by itself. It's my go to site for load info.

Spiris