Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Went Shooting Tue Afternoon

spec4 e4

I went shooting and took the wife. We took 5 rifles, AR-15 CAR, M1 Garand, Yugo M48 with PH barrel, Yugo M48 with ER barrel, and an sport Swedish M96. The range did not inform me that I can not have steel in the bullets, so I had to put the Yugo M48 with the PH barrel, and the M1 Garand back into the truck. Cause of the ammo issue.

1st up was the Swedish mauser, did ok. At 25 yds it was just about 3" low and to the right about 2". Correct the sights. X's rings. Put the target to 100 yds. Just an hair low, adjust it. X's ring. Hold an 3" spread.

Yugo with the ER Shaw barrel up next. I has an Millett Buck Gold Tactical rifle scope 6-25X56 side focus 35mm tube. I bore sight the rifle in but was going to move target back to 25 yrds to see, but I thought what the He77. Sent an round down range. Was at 2 O'clock about 2" away for X ring. Sent another, about .75 away from the fist, left. Sent another touch the 2nd one, sent 4th, touch the 2nd and 3rd. Very happy with Night Hawk(rifle name, how many of you name your rifle?) Send about 100 rounds down range. Only problem that I have is an tight chamber and bolt is hard to close? Easier with factory ammo, surplus is very hard. Extracting is no proble after firing. Woundering if an match chamber would cause this?

Place the targat at 25yds for the CAR, Shot 1 round, then 2nd one, Slamfired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o:o Take it out of action for now, look at the brass, look like factory ammo and the reload that I have was with brenchrest primer, which I did not used cause the bullets has steel in them.

A Major was there by the name of Savage. He was watching me and told me that he like my stick(Night Hawk). And he asked me about it. Told them what I didi to the rifle. We spent two hours there and had an blast. Vickey got cold and went to the truck and I pack up. The Major gave me an idea with an little red weagon. He used it to cart his stuff to and from the truck. :P Never thought about that. This is the first time I been to the range for about 8 years. Boy, am I rusty... Got to work on that this spring.

Rob.

Rob, thats pretty good man! Whats your "night hawk"? is it an 8mm? We shot at the range at school the other day. me and a buddy shot in our 7mags. Mine did ok, recoil jarred the stock bolt loose (t/c encore). I've made up my mind to never purchase another t/c again. Just not happy with the craftsmanship. Gonna prob get a 6.5-06 barrel and swap out, the 7mm is a little much. We went shooting last night,,, with a paintball gun! i couldn't make it through the snow to home, so i stayed at my buds house.From what i remember,(my intoxication level was ungodly) we shot the hell outta some deer with that thing, someones horse and numerous other objects that shouldn't have been used as targets. (christmas lights, buildings, signs, vehicles....etc.) Saw tons of huge bucks, and had a good time playing in the snow. i've rambled enough.....good shooting.

Brenden

Rob my Colt AR-15 rarely done so but has slam fired. It has doubled on me a couple of times also. Back in the 70's when I bought it, Colt had contracted with some gunsmiths to be authorized centers service and do warranty repair. The rifle after I returned it the second time was sent to Colt. Colt claimed it was the ammo causing the problem and added some BS to the letter about reloaded ammo voiding warranty. The local Colt service center gunsmith told me my AR's headspace was right at minimum and he also felt the problem was ammo. From what I've read on the net, a Titanium firing pin will help stop the slam firing. You have to be very cautious where the muzzle is pointed when you press the bolt release and let the bolt slam it's way home. The firing pin's inertia will put a small dent on the primer and occasionally it will fire.

Night Hawk is an Yugo made into an 308 win. that is an bull barrel that is 1.25" in dia. and is 26" long with an black and black Richard Mirco fit stock.

Rob

I hate to tell you but,

someone made a mistake on your barrel and put the rifling on the outside instead of in the bore! :lol:

PS. Nice rifle

Ken98k, That was funny, never thoght about it till you said something. Thanks

Tinkerfive, No I was just west of Kansas City, Mo. Did not talk to him that much, but my wife was telling me he was watch me very carefully while I was shooting. I took an brake and walk down the line to see what other people was shooting. He was shooting what look like an Remy 700, but it was not. I forgot what make it was, but look nice. He had an comp on the end and it was loud. Very well manner, but I think that is was the military in him. And he was very soft speaken when I talk to him. Very odd in my book.

AzRednek, I thought about that, but the ammo I used was factory not surplus or my reload. I am trying to found the other range to shoot my reload to see if it slam fire. As for ammo in the chamber while not hunting or at the range, don't do that unless the firing pin is out of the firearm. Unless it is my home defense firearms.

Thanks again

Rob

P.S. An bad day at the range beats an good day at work any day....

I use the bolt release button often and let the bolt slam home. Just have to be careful and be certain the muzzle is pointed down range. I've put thousands of rounds through it and it has only happened a few times but once is all it takes if one is not prepared for the possibility.

If you reload military brass you have to be certain the primer crimp is completely removed and the primer is seated all the way home. If you haven't purchased your loading dies yet for 223 you might consider getting small base sizer. I can't recall having problems with ammo since I started using the small base sizer. I used to use the RCBS tool to swage the primer crimp. It takes way to much time and it is allot easier to use a chamfer tool and just ream it out.