Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fc

tinkerfive

Got the following message several times about 11:30 eastern

This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota

Please contact this site's webmaster.

Wait a few minutes and use your browser's "Back" button or click here to try again.

If you are the webmaster, your account may have gotten this error for one or more of the following reasons:

* Your account has used more than its share of the cpu in the past 60 second sliding window.

* Your account has too many concurrent processes running simultanously.

* Your account has consumed too much memory.

* Your site was recently very busy trying to run inefficient scripts.

The solution would be to optimize your applications to use less CPU.

Adding appropriate indeces to your SQL tables can often help reduce CPU.

Using static .html documents instead of painful .php scripts will practically eliminate CPU usage.

Well, I ain't a HTML guy and I ain't a forum guy, but I am a database guy and I noticed a problem with mfrc_mail_error_logs. I cleaned out the table. It was way too big and looked like it was taking down the mysql server. I dunno if that will help or not. The errors seemed to all be that there was no From field set in all the outgoing emails and whatever email ap was bombing because of that and kicking back the error. I changed that empty field to No_Reply@Sporterizing.com in the control panel, Tools and Settings, Email Set-Up. If that isn't acceptable, someone can change it to whatever you guys think should be the From for outgoing emails.

Update:

It had an error that says: IPB ERROR: Could not send the email

That is different than the "no from field" error it used to have. Also, five pages of error logs popped up in about a minute. I think this is the source, or may be, anyway. Maybe if it had a correct "from" address, that might work. The error now is:

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

I dunno which mailbox that is, outgoing or incoming. It could be that the email address being sent to is bad and that's where the bounce is. I'm getting a lot fewer errors now, so maybe some of them are going through.

The error log table I mentioned had a huge number of records in it. I forget how many, but it was a lot. I went to the admin panel, then clicked tools and settings at the top, then View Email Error Logs. Right now, there are 48 pages (since last night). Then I check the box at the bottom right, "Remove all?" and click the Remove Checked button. That cleans out the error log table. There are othere ways, but that is the way that the software has set up for easy controlled clean out.

If you click on SQL Management over on the left, you will see how many records are in each table. Task logs and Spider logs are getting kinda big and really aren't needed. I don't see a built in "remove" function for them. I can clean the tables out (or you can) manually like this:

Click on the link for mfrc_spider_logs

In the Run Query box at the top, you'll see:

SELECT * FROM mfrc_spider_logs

Change that to:

delete * FROM mfrc_spider_logs

and hit "run a new query" and it will wipe the table clean. Be careful what tables you do that too. Log tables are OK, but you could wipe out the whole board it you do that on the wrong table.

tinker, I'm not sure exactly where that error comes from, but I think it was related to the table I cleaned out. When a table gets too big, accessing it can take a lot of CPU time. If you sent a PM to someone, I think the software is supposed to send an email telling them they got a PM. Most boards do that. That email would have bounced because of the no from field issue, which would have accessed the big table. That might have overused the CPU. Just a theory.

Tinker, Dr. Hess is right on that one. Also, I'd guess your mail come to you if you were at 99% full.

Dr. Hess, thanks. I'll have to look at that post of yours again when I'm not tired. Looks like we need to "clean house" on stuff that could get in the way of smooth board functioning.