Military Firearm Restoration Corner

22 Hornet

ken98k

You're opening a whole can of worms there. From my reading, there is no direct conversion from CUP to PSI.

I've loaded a lot of 22 Hornet. Using the max loads in the manuals, a 40 or 40-something grain bullet specifically for 22 Hornet and 296 powder, it turned out to be "fill the case to the neck and push a bullet on top."

You're opening a whole can of worms there. From my reading, there is no direct conversion from CUP to PSI.

I've loaded a lot of 22 Hornet. Using the max loads in the manuals, a 40 or 40-something grain bullet specifically for 22 Hornet and 296 powder, it turned out to be "fill the case to the neck and push a bullet on top."

Just doing a little research. I'm considering putting together a single shot 22 Hornet on a Serbian 99 action.

Kenny

I dunno what a Serbian 99 is, but I'd say it is probably going to be well in spec. My 22 Hornet is a Contender. The round was originally developed to be used in 22LR rifles with the chambers rechambered for 22 Hornet, from what I've read. That's why some 22 Hornet bullets were 223 and some were 224 OD.

I dunno what a Serbian 99 is, but I'd say it is probably going to be well in spec. My 22 Hornet is a Contender. The round was originally developed to be used in 22LR rifles with the chambers rechambered for 22 Hornet, from what I've read. That's why some 22 Hornet bullets were 223 and some were 224 OD.

A Serbian 99 is basically a 95 Mauser except it has a safety breach (enclosed cartridge head) like the later Yugo 24-47 and 48

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what pressure the 22 Hornet operates at?

Measuring .22H pressures in a 21" Contender barrel using the Oehler M43 show Winchester factory 46 HPs have a MAP of 24,900 psi(M43) at 2514 fps. The classic load of 11.5 gr H4227 under a Hornady 45 gr bullet gives 26,000 psi(M43) at 2539 fps. The 45 gr Hornady bullet over 12.5 gr H110 gives 29,400 psi(M43) at 2840 fps. I'll find out what 13 gr LilGun gives with 40 and 45 gr bullets when the weather improves but the velocities are 3020 fps and 2940 fps with excellent accuracy respectively out of my 24" barreled Savage M40.

Larry Gibson

Kenny I was reading in some of my reloading manuals it used to be 47,000 cup but now sammi has dropped it down to 43,000 cup. I found long ago one of the best powders for lower pressures was the discontinued win680 which I think now is the same as accurate arms aa1680. Ive been thinking about doing the same thing but building one on a argentine 1891 action. I just wonder though about how much backthrust the hornet cartridge produces.aaron10

Kenny I was reading in some of my reloading manuals it used to be 47,000 cup but now sammi has dropped it down to 43,000 cup. I found long ago one of the best powders for lower pressures was the discontinued win680 which I think now is the same as accurate arms aa1680. Ive been thinking about doing the same thing but building one on a argentine 1891 action. I just wonder though about how much backthrust the hornet cartridge produces.aaron10

saami says 25,000 cup.

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Larry, I hate to sound like a dummy but what is MAP?

Not a "dummy" question at all.

Maximum Average Pressure.

Many confuse MAP with Maximum Allowable pressure which it is not. Most ammuntion ends up with a MPLM (Maximum Probable Lot Mean) which is generally 2.5% above the MAP. This basically means that some lots can excede the MAP, i.e. a MAP of 62,000 psi for the .308W could have some lots acceptable with a MAP of 63,550 psi. I should say here I've not found any .308W ot 7.62 NATO that approches anywhere neare that. Just because the MAP is 62,000 doesn't mean all ammuntion is loaded to that. SAAMI proof loads run 30-40% over the MPLM. The MPLM is the pressure firearms should be designed to operate at. Have I confused everyone.

Larry Gibson