Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Snow Chains On A 4x4

montea6b

If you have a pair of chains you are going to put on a 4x4, which set of wheels do you put them on, front or back?

The answer is obvious for front or rear drive only cars, but I'm curious what the conventional wisdom is for 4x4s.

I've only chained up my truck once and I put them on the front for max braking and steering control. We've had some snow recently and I saw a 4x4 truck with chains on the rear yesterday. While it looked "normal", it got me thinking about the rational behind this choice.

Just wondering what others thought.

(My wife just rolls her eyes at me when I try to use her as a sounding board for things like this that puzzle my sense of logic...)

I'm far from being an expert and sure don't have much experience driving on snow at all. I suggest if you have the truck's owner's manual, to see if something is said about snow chains. I know when I worked in an auto parts store 30 years ago. The snow chain manufacture recommended they go on the rear on 4X4's. Usually the rear differential on a 4X4 is Limited Slip, Positraction or what ever name the manufacture uses. The front differential is not always of the limited slip locking type. May not be the case on today's modern 4X4's.

On a four wheel drive the rational for putting them on the front is this:

That big heavy engine puts a lot of downward pressure on the front tires, leading to better grip when chains are applied, and when braking roughly 60% of braking power comes from the front tires.

Jimro

I have been on stuff so slick i had them on all four. now i hope you find this funny, a freind of mine just got back from washington st. they just had a dump of snow, and they where showing drivers trying to get around and they showed a guy spinning his tires on his front wheel drive then they panned to the rear wheels and had chains on.

If it's bad enough to warrent chains on a 4x4, stay home! :P

If I had to use them, I'd put then on the back.

If you're getting in deep stuff off road put em on all 4.

Under some circumstances, putting on chains can be like putting on ice skates. Ask someone who has done a lot of dozer work in the winter, it can be treacherous.

Here in North Tejas,we have more black ice than snow,so your way better off putting chains on the rear.Getting traction and keepin moving is more of a problem than steering.I'm with Kenny.If you need chains on a 4x4,you need to stay home.I hate chains.They eat up tires,and sooner or later are going to beat the crap out of a fender well.I remember farmers and oil well pumpers kept an old set of tires and wheels in the back of their truck that already had the chains on them.It's easier to put the tires and chains on than trying to put the chains on in the snow.We got some snow while we were hunting down on the border last week,but have been lucky so far and not had any ice. Jerry

For normal highway driving, with the right tires and four wheel drive, you shouldn't need any chains. For hunting in the mountains on snow covered muddy dirt roads, chain up all four wheels. Be sure to clean the mud and snow off your wheels at night or your truck can freeze to the ground.