Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Wally World Sold Out Of Bulk 22's

Dr.Hess

I went to Wally World today for my grocery shopping. Thought I might pick up a box of 22's. They were totally sold out of all bulk 22's. They used to have Winchester 500's and Remington yellow boy 550 packs, plus some Federals, all at around $14-17. Totally sold out. All they had were some boxes of 50 for like $3.50 each. I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from this, but I understand ammo, mags and anything hi-cap or mean looking is out of stock across the country. I guess we've been here before.

Reckon its because its Christmas?

Its unusual for Wal-Mart to be out of something like these. My guess is the resupply truck hasn't run yet. Try back on Monday or Tuesday.

The local Sportsman's Warehouse has been sold out of Pretty much everything in the way of ammo and reloading components since the election.

The Ammo and Firearms manufactures must be loving this.

The problem for them will be when things calm down, the market will be saturated. Then we'll see some reasonable prices.

A different wally world today (we have 4 super centers in about a 10 mile circle) had about 3 boxes of 22LR Winchester bulk 333ea/box for about $10.50. A few other 22's in boxes of 50, but their ammo case was pretty bare. None of the 550/box Remingtons.

I really think that while other calibers are superior in almost every aspect, the lowly 22LR is the king of long term survival munitions. You can really take any game you want with it with proper shot placement and I recall reading somewhere that more people are killed in the US with 22LR's than any other caliber. Certainly lacks in stopping power, but it is very deadly, none-the-less.

Anyway, I think it would be a good thing to stock up, and everyone else around here does too, apparently.

I tried to buy 22s at WalMart here in Greenville NC last night. They didn't have one box. Not one round.

I asked why they were out. The reply was, "Obama". The clerk said that people are afraid that we'll be allowed to keep our guns as promised but not ammunition.

She also said that the regional distribution center was out too, and didn't know when they might get some.

I've only got a few rounds left for squirrel season. Maybe I can prep some mild 308 cast loads.

This really is amazing.

All Cabella's had there was some weird stuff like 22 tracer and some high dollar (10 cents ea) sub sonic match sniper stuff.

I recall reading where a 22 was considered the ideal survival rifle. Or a 22 mag, but they're a lot more expensive for ammo. I remember seeing where they'd find some guy that was living out in the woods for a couple years for whatever reason. He'd have a bolt action 22 with 3 rounds in the mag and some wire for snares.

Anyway, my dad always said they call them "survival rifles" because that's the last rifle you grab if you want to survive. I still like my AR-7. Now if I can just find some ammo....