Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Belgian Barreled Action

Bob58

I ran across a scrubbed (standard length?) mauser sporter that had a barreled action - please help me guess its origin/identity. Of course we'll have to assume the whole barreled action is original and not a mongrel.

Characteristics:

• Belgian proof mark on 8mm barrel, serial number on barrel (E on top LG all within oval with crown), heavy pitting on barrel
  • Well executed notch in front receiver ring (perhaps to accomodate longer cartridge?) SN matches barrel
  • Very,very faint numbers on rear bridge perpendicular to side - can't make them out but might be SN because two numbers match, but may also be 308
  • Straight bolt handle
  • Smooth as butter

I wish I could've removed it from the stock to see other markings.

Perhaps we'll never know but I'm thinking it is an FN of some type. The unknown for me is the notch in the receiver.

Hi Bob,

It could be a scrubbed Model 1935 Peruvian. I have one that is made by FN in Hertstal Belgique, serial # on left side of front receiver ring, notch in front receiver ring for .30/06 when rebarreled/rechambered, has the T tower and arrow belgium proofs next to and above the serial # and on the rear bridge their is stamped .30 for the .30/06 chambering. There could be a few other South American Mauser that got this treatment after WWII.

HTH

Bob H