Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Cpt Pedro Oblea, From Afghanistan

FC

----- Original Message -----

From "Oblea, Pedro N Jr CPT MIL USA FORSCOM" <pedro.oblea@us.army.mil> Date Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:15:19 +0300 To "Obrien, Bradley P CPT MIL USA USAMEDCOM" <brad.obrien@us.army.mil> Subject Re: Sitrep on you

(from a friend. I don't know this person)

Brad,

This deployment I never feel "SAFE" anymore, we got hit by rockets 102mm and 122mm at different occassions, December 30 and January 3. And its 8-11 yards from the bunker where I am located at. Our FST drash tent was damage due to the IDF so we have to put a new ICU and OR tent. We don't have any hard shell structure except for the bunker.

We are still waiting for Gen Pitreus order next month if our BDE is staying 12 or 15 months. Thanks for remembering me. Keep on writing if you have time, answering e-mail makes me sane here!

Thanks again,

Pedro

CPT Pedro N.Oblea,Jr.,AN

Brigade Nurse 4/1 CD

C.Co, 27th BSB

FOB GARRY OWEN

APO AE 09331

• 2 weeks later...

My brigade has been on the deployment list for a while. I'm still hoping that we go to Afghanistan, since the brigade has been to Iraq twice and has a lot of combat tested leadership when the fighting was rough.

On the flip side one of our sister brigades has never deployed and has already got the WARNO for Afghanistan. The only reason is that they already have an NTC date which is about five weeks ahead of ours.

NATO really screwed up the security situation in Afghanistan. It is going to take some serious firepower to back up the operations needed to dropkick the insurgency back into obscurity.

Jimro

I hear that they are talking about as many as 30,000 Marines in Afghanistan.

If that occurs and they give them decent rules of engagement, it will be a very short war.

Still Nothing is certain in war and with liberals in DC.

You guys and girls in the field take care.

Our prayers are with you and we have not forgotten,

The school had a large "Valentine for the troops" drive and we sent cards, candy batteries and other goodies.

Take care

karl

I guess I'm not going because of my hearing profile.

Pedro is in Iraq; I thought it was Afghanistan. In the only other email I got, he's having a hard time over there. He got shot in the butt on the last deployment, and is afraid of not making it this time.

"He got shot in the butt on the last deployment, and is afraid of not making it this time. "

Tell him not to worry. NO BODY was more afraid than I was at times : )

Over the years I learned We will go "home" when God calls not sooner and not later.

karl

the "Security Agreement"'s in place in Iraq and Afghanistan it is going to be tough slogging from here on out.

The rules of engagement under NATO are pretty lame, and our "allies" have put restrictions even on those. In Iraq it was the other way around, we could use allied troops in ways that US troops couldn't be used.

War may be hell, but politics is a b!tch.

Jimro

"War may be hell, but politics is a b!tch."

Jimro

Sometimes, I think we carry the concept "fair play' a bit too far.

To make it worse, you fellas NEVER know who has a video camera or when you will be on "60" minutes...with the film artfully edited of course.

karl