Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Survive The Storm?

swamprat

We survived. The devastation was tremendous. We lost power at 0900 Tuesday and got it back 1500 Monday. Kept warm with the wood stove. Well, not warm, but didn't freeze to death. Used the camp stove to cook. Fortunately, we had water and only lost the phone for a couple hours. Every single tree on our property and within 30 miles of us, at least, was damaged at a minimum. We probably lost 2-300 trees and the other 1-2K were damaged. We have 10 acres. The only structure damage we had was one limb that hit a chainlink fence, so we got real lucky. A 9" limb fell on my shop and didn't even scratch the paint. Gotta love those giant corrugated steel buildings. I had to cut our way out of the driveway several times. It sounded like a war zone with rifles going off as the tree limbs snapped. What happened is that we had a couple of cold days, so the ground/trees were cold. Then we had about 2 days of 32F and rain. We got 5" of rain at 32F or a little below. This is the worst ice storm this area has ever had, they say. I suspect a similar storm may have hit 50-70 years ago, from reading the trees.

Sunday, I was cutting down a tree that was leaning over the house dangerously, and misjudged the forces involved and basically dropped it on my leg. I sprained my knee, have some contusions and abraisions on my leg and arm and 1-2+ pre-tibial pitting edema on the right. I'm moving around OK now (slowly). I can put weight on it, but internal rotation is a biatch.

All I can say is Thank God for Global Warming. Otherwise, we'd really been screwed.

We survived the ice storm up here in KY ok. No power from Wensday 5 am til sometime Friday while at work. Some people are still without power. Lots of trees down in my area, but not in my yard. There are several large pines on the other side of the fence that were damaged though. I hope that everyone is ok.

Bob

Wow guys. I've seen ice storms tear the world down before, but WOW. Nothing like being out of power and cold.

I'm glad to hear yall came through it.

You don't even see much of the damage in those pics. The trees just kept snapping for days after those were shot. That tree in the 3rd pic, leaning over the house at the right front is the one that nailed my leg. I did real good not dropping it on the house. Oh well. I'm lucky I didn't break my leg or knee.

My bother in law has a 'tree farm' in Kentucky.

Several months ago I had a conversation with him about considering having it logged out and investing the money.

He's getting too old to go through and weed and prune.

We don't know yet what shape the tree farm is in.

I hope that the conversation wasn't too prophetic.

He wanted to let them mature another 5 years.

Tinker :(

You don't even see much of the damage in those pics. The trees just kept snapping for days after those were shot. That tree in the 3rd pic, leaning over the house at the right front is the one that nailed my leg. I did real good not dropping it on the house. Oh well. I'm lucky I didn't break my leg or knee.

Yall can come stay down here during the next ice storm if I can come up there during the next hurricane. Deal?