Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Favorite beer

fritz

The original Skunk beer. Heinie in cans is ok but the bottled stuff tastes nasty. I think that when the Germans invaded the Netherlands they used slave labor to produce enough Heineken to last the duration of the Thousand Year Reich. Hence, all heineken has been selling since the liberation of Holland is the stuff produced during WWII. This is why it tastes so skunky. I cannot fathom how it tastes warm without my stomach wanting to hurl.

The Germans kept all the good beer in Germany. They let the Holland beer be exported to the allies (maybe as a way to say, "If you want good beer, come to the Rhineland")

fritz

I don't think you guys know what your talking about. I like the stuff, and another Dutch beer called Bavaria. Then again, I like Dutch liquorice which for some strange reason makes non-Dutch people hurl. More for me.

BTW, outside of the US, Heineken is all locally produced under license, like Lowenbrau. The US is the only place I have found that has Dutch brewed Heineken outside of The Netherlands.

Dr.Hess

Guest MorgansBoss

Sorry boys but my favorite beer is Castle Lager - the best selling beer in the world, thanks largely to a huge following in China. Unfortunately the U.S. is one of the very few countries in the world where it is not available due to Miller being own by the same company. Considering the big Miller / Budwiser battle, it is curious that most Castle drinkers prefer Bud when in The States!

Shiner Bock!

Guiness Extra Stout and Draught.

Budweiser (NOT LIGHT! Only the original! )

Heineken? No thanks. I'll just have a glass of muddy water instead.

I like Old Milwakee because it is always on sale.

I have a German exchange student(girl) living with me for 3 weeks. I asked her what kind of beer is the best, or what kind do you all like the best. She said Becks beer mixed with sprite. I have never heard of this mixture, but all the german students love it. I guess I'll have to try it. Can't imagine any beer mixed with sprite!!!! They only have to be 16 to drink beer in Germany!!! The thing that blew my mind the most about these students is, they couldn't tell me what kind of rifle I showed them. It was a German 98!! Go figure!!

Thanks, Davis.

Schlitz will work, if you can find it.

4028[/snapback]

I liked the canned Schlitz but their smooth draft was a different beer in itself. As a teeneger there was a beer called Eastside Old Tap, a case of 24 12oz bottles was only $2.40 if you had the returnable bottles, occasionally on sale for only $1.99. It was bad but I remember a few times having to walk home from the drive-in movie getting fall down stupid drunk for only $2.40.

Damned, some of you guys must be older than me (how can that be?)

I can't remember beer that cheap when I was a kid. Actually, beer at any price (when you were underage) was good. In the service in Florida, Regal was .89 a six-pack. On an airman third class pay, that was all I could pay.

I was buying beer at retail long before I was of legal age. I always looked older than I was. I was the "designated beer buyer" while attending trade school. The fellows sometimes bitched about it being a case of warm beer, but that was easier to buy illegally than a six-pack of cold beer.

fritz was never stupid, and if they didn't know how to chill it, to hell with them!

fritz

When I was 18, I moved from the PRC (Beer age=21) to the SwampLand (LA, which mostly isn't there any more) where the Beer age was 18.

In the early 80's, my neighbors would always have a keg of Pearl on tap in a Kegerator. All you TX boys remember Pearl, don't ya? Wasn't bad at all on tap and we would get a keg for about $23. Longest one ever lasted was about a week. Shortest without a party was about a day. My neighbors would take a road trip to the Pearl Brewery in San Antone for the tour. They were a little nuts. One became a drill instructor and the other became a bum after getting a degree in Criminal Justice.

Dr.Hess

I drove a beer truck for a Schlitz distibutor in '71 and '72,and Miller in the clear bottle was my favorite,Old Mil was next.I had Old Mil on the truck.Schlitz was $5.00 a case wholesale and Old Mil was $4.20.I made $50.00 a week +28 cents a case for Schlitz and 18 cents for Old Mil,Schlitz Malt Liquor,tallboys,quarts.I was old enough to have a commercial driver license and could sell a truck load of beer a day,but wasn't old enough to buy a beer.Jerry

My friend's wife is from Munich and she says they take wheat beer and mix it with lemonade and Sprite.

4040[/snapback]

Es heißt ein Raddler. It's very popular and quite refreshing. Also very smart of the girl to drink it that way. The beers are typically served in liter steins in Munich. After a couple of those most teenagers would be flat on their butts. Some adults too.

the oddest mix I ever saw was in The Slovak Republic, they were mixing Coke and red wine, yuck! No, not the kind that goes up yer nose, coca-cola. I couldn't imagine a worse combo.

The day I got out of high school I became a roustabout for $7/hr in the Louisiana oil patch. I was making the BIG bucks back then. A Dixie beer was cheaper than a Coke. Papst Blue Ribbon was 79 cents a quart.

Right now I am in Q-West, Iraq. I would pay $20 for cold Dixie right about now.