Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Strange Problem With Fedora

karlunity

Fellas.

I was upgrading to fedora 10.

I can get it to run BUT my mouse pointer is NOT visible on the screen.

I know the pointer is there as I can randomly "click" on things but as I cannot see the pointer, it gets real annoying.

any ideas?

karl

I thought it was a hat too...

No idea about "fedora" the program, but you might want to go through control panel into your mouse settings and browse the options there.

I don't know what system you are running, but in mine there was a check box option to "show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key", (annoying, but might be a work around...) and a "hide pointer while typing" check box. I'd try various combinations of checking and un-checking these and other options to see what happens.

Just curious, what is Fedora and Ubuntu?

If I had to guess, I'd say they're other-than-Microsoft operating systems.

Fedora and Ubuntu are Linux operating systems, also known as "Distros" which is short for "distribution".

The actual Linux kernel is the same for both distributions, but the software that is layered on top of the kernel is different. There are three distinct "families" of Linux distributions that are commonly in use, Fedora (red hat), Debian, and Slackware. What makes each family unique is the management software for each, Anything Red Hat/Fedora based uses rpm packages, anything Debian based will use an actual package manager suite, and a distro like Slackware uses basic binary and tarball files that the administrator installs manually.

To break it down by ease of use, I find Ubuntu to be the easiest, it's what I'm using right now on my laptop. I only had to tweak some drivers to get full functionality, namely the wireless and video card drivers. Getting any linux distro to work on a laptop is a major coup.

Red Hat/Fedora is very popular because of relatively widespread use in industry. Red Hat certification is almost as prestigious as MCSE or CCNA.

Slackware is possibly the grandaddy of ultra stable Linux distros, it is no frills and takes a lot more effort on the part of the user to configure. Once it is configured it is possibly the most stable of any operating system I've ever used.

Jimro

Jimro is on the money and far better than I am.

I would add that the nice thing about linux is that you can run it from a CD(as long as you can set the computer to boot from a cd) in the ram and never worry about leaving tests on a computer where people can get at them as the CD runs in the RAM and not on the HD so that when you power down, what ever you typed is gone.

karl