Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ammo Question?

swamprat

I'm old school and only know regular ammo sizes. I had a hard time just getting myself to accept 9mm. Not a round I grew up with. If you had a gun that used 9mm it was a wall hanger because no ammo was available. Now tell me whats the difference between 38spl and 38spl+P? I know it is more powerful but why? Is that not the function of the 357? Or was it a way to get rid of cheaper guns that couldn't handle the hotter load? I just can't get my mind around this round and its purpose. Enlighten me please.

Swamprat

The +P ammo, is loaded to somewhat higher pressure to give higher pperformance. The California Highway Patrol used to have 38 Special ammo loaded to extra High pressures, actually called +P+ ammo. Close to 357 Mag loads. Thus giving better performance without using the dreaded "Magnum" ammo. Some handgun ammo is under loaded, so the +P rounds are actually loaded to close their true potential. This is especially true for the 9mm Lugar which is really under loaded here in the US.