Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Forearm Tip Question

680guy

I'm rebarreling an earlier project. The old barrel was 24", the new one is 21" . I plan on shortening the stock but that will leave the front swivel stud too close to the tip. My plan is to cut the stock back a couple inches below the stud and add a forearm tip to the new desired length. A friend gave me a piece of Brazlian cherry that I think will look nice but I'm not sure of the best method of attaching it. I have a doweling kit with 1/4" hardwood dowels, I was thinking of using 2 or 3 of these but not sure on the type of adhesive, (wood glue, epoxy ?) or if the dowels are even needed. The new barrel is a 257 Roberts so recoil wont be bad. GUY

• 2 weeks later...

I do it the same as Kenny.

One dowel can actually allow twisting to loosen the the dowel and the tip comes loose. Two dowels eliminates that.

I usually match the epoxy (I use Acraglass because I can stain it when mixing) to the darker colored wood.

Same with the pg cap.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

pacrat, I used to use one dowel and one large nail to stabilize the torquing. Then I realized I didn't know which had nails and which had all wood and I didn't know how to remove those which I wished to change or didn't work out. Then I just went to two wooden dowels. Works great and I don't have to worry about how to get off FE tips I don't like. Same with the pg.

As to oily wood, especially rosewood, I wash everything down thoroughly with lacquer thinner before I start with the epoxy or even the stock finish. If you can get one stable hard finish down you'll be okay afterwards.

Brad