Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Women Don't Appreciate Fine Machinery!

AzRednek

I have a 1970's Sensation lawn mower. The engine died and rather than replace it with the new mower I went to a swap meet bought a used mower for 25 bucks, pulled the engine and put it on my Sensation mower. My ol'lady told me to quit being so cheap and just buy a new one. I was cussing out loud because I had to drill the deck to accommodate 3/8's instead of 5/16 bolts.

Sensation was put out of business by govt regulations. The Sensation has the ability to flip the short push handle over and push the mower in both directions. To many doofuses were pulling the mower over their feet flipping the push handle so big brother forced mower manufactures to stop making reversible push handles. Current manufactured mowers have push handles so long to keep Bubba from sticking his feet into the blade it is dam near impossible to turn sharp corners. Original Sensations had a cutting blade that would literally vacuum the lawn and they had a rock deflector on top of the blade. Other manufactures, at the time Japanese manufactures, copied the vacuum cups but did not add the rock deflector. Sure enough big brother regulated the vacuum cup designed blade out of existence because of the danger of the cup tossing a rock at the speed of a bullet.

My Sensation with it's thick but light weight aluminum deck glides over a thick lawn like a tank. When I empty the catcher I don't have to worry about the automatic shut-off and brake. I can turn the engine down to an idle and don't have to fool with starting it again. I slide the catcher back on, turn up the rpm's and continue on.

Professional landscapers will pay good bux for an old Sensation. Just the aluminum deck alone will often go for as much as a hundred. There is just no way I'd give up my old mower and have to deal with all the bells, whistles, rpm limiting carburetors and Bubba proof automatic shut offs put on new mowers. My original 3 1/2 HP engine would turn higher rpm's and not stall better than the new 6HP engines. Sure the old motors with higher compression, requiring premium fuel were allot harder to start but well worth the extra effort firing them up.

I kind of remember mowers like that. It was nice to leave the mower puttering while you stepped away for a minute. The first mower I remember my dad using was one where you had to wrap the rope around the top by hand and pull it, just like the old Daffy Duck boat motor.

You know when a woman tells a man "go buy a new one" I think she has an ulterior motive....

Jimro

I think her ulterior motive is wanting some new furniture and she keeps bringing up Las Vegas. My property taxes are now due and April 15th is around the corner so I have to be a cheapskate.