Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Just Thought I'd Mention This

Ron J

I know everyone here was wondering this. Today is the 111th anniversary of the first commision testing of the 1898 Mauser. I know, big weeny. But it got me thinking. 111 years ago they were testing something that yet today, we are still fascinated with just as it was. Sure we clean, polish and alter somewhat, but we admire the design more than any of the others. I recently saw a Holland & Holland catalog. Their "repeating rifle", as they call it, "is based on the original Mauser design with refinements". In the picture was a beautiful rifle - drop dead gorgeous. It had a Mauser action. It had a thumb slot for crying out loud. They used an ex military receiver for a rifle that cost almost as much as my house. Are they being cheap? No. They are using what they feel is the best.

I'm amazed at what the minds of some came up with 100 years ago. More so than new modern "break-throughs".

Just my random thoughts.

Walnut

Thanks for the heads up.They sure are facinating (mausers)

I was able to get back into the shop and do some work on a sweede this weekend. I finished the Wisner safety that I started in February.

I know everyone here was wondering this. Today is the 111th anniversary of the first commision testing of the 1898 Mauser. I know, big weeny. But it got me thinking. 111 years ago they were testing something that yet today, we are still fascinated with just as it was. Sure we clean, polish and alter somewhat, but we admire the design more than any of the others. I recently saw a Holland & Holland catalog. Their "repeating rifle", as they call it, "is based on the original Mauser design with refinements". In the picture was a beautiful rifle - drop dead gorgeous. It had a Mauser action. It had a thumb slot for crying out loud. They used an ex military receiver for a rifle that cost almost as much as my house. Are they being cheap? No. They are using what they feel is the best.

I'm amazed at what the minds of some came up with 100 years ago. More so than new modern "break-throughs".

Just my random thoughts.

Walnut

That is pretty amazing, isn't it? Both the 100+ years and the H & H Rifle. But I feel the same way. I prefer them to anything else. The more I learn about them, the better I like them.

Paul Mauser, John Moses Browning, Nicola Tesla, George Washington Carver, ALL geniuses in their fields. Before them it was Leonardo Da Vinci, Isaac Newton, and Copernicus. If we see far it is only because we stand on the shoulders of giants.

Jimro