Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nice Day At The Range

karlunity

Rifles: MAS36 and a 98K Mauser. Pistol 1851 Navy in 44.

The first rifle was the MAS 36. Now this rifle had issues when I got it.

The rear sight was a (D) French for right..they had drilled the peep hole to the right.

I drilled it out and glued a small washer over it.

This "centered the peephole and put it on paper at 100 meters..I worked up from 25.. good groups seemed to be about 2 in on ave.

But the point of impact was still two inches to the right of the black at 100 meters.

The front sight blade of the MAS 36 is fitted tightly into the front sight hood which in turn is part of the front sight band.

So in order to move the front sight, I had to file a bit off the base of the front sight on the right side , that done I was able to move the front sight blade a tad to the right.( I also filed the left in case I end up having to move it left) Which will I think get it in the black..I will find out this weekend.

The MAS 36 is a strange looking rifle and you have to reform the brass for it, but it does shot and group very well.

I think that with a scope it would hold under an inch.

The 98k shot very well and I was glad of it as I went and got 400 rounds from AIM..(green lacquered steel cased ROM 8mm.)

Most of the time the Rom green I shot in the past did not do well, but you how it is with ammo now, you gotta take what you can get, the Rom 8mm surprised me all in the black at 100 meters and with the rear sight set at 100 meters.

This ammo must have been made to old German army specs.

With the Navy. I got about HALF the rounds on the paper at 25 meters, in a pistol fight, I would do better with a Knife : ).

But the BP revolvers are fun to shoot.

karl

Rifles: MAS36 and a 98K Mauser. Pistol 1851 Navy in 44.

The first rifle was the MAS 36. Now this rifle had issues when I got it.

The rear sight was a (D) French for right..they had drilled the peep hole to the right.

That is factory pre-set so the shooter can see around the white flag and his commanding officer standing up front with his hands up.

karl