Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Walk Behind Weedeater Question

Horsefly

Anybody ever used one.My brother bought a Troy Built at an auction that wouldn't start,but after cleaning the carb.,it starts and runs like new.We tried it around the barn and it works like a champ.The head pivots left or right,so you can cut grass under the wires of the fence.About $400.00 new,so wanted to ask you cats what you think.We mow 5 acres,and something that makes the job quicker is always welcome. Jerry

We have one. It is good for doing our area because we have so many rocks that a conventional mower can't handle it. I have a conventional mower with a cracked motor from hitting a rock. Anyway, the problem is the string doesn't last all that long so you have to stop and replace it all the time.

Fly,

I've never used one bit I like the idea. A traditional weed eater is hard on my back. This would take away the constant twisting and be a lot easier on the back. That alone would sell me on the idea if the price was right and it was reliable.

The only Troy Built machine that I've used was a 5hp snow blower. That thing was a workhorse. Well built too.

lc

The Troybilt line of power equipment enjoyed a good following and were made heavy duty. They made their name on their heavy duty rear tine tillers. Unfortunately, they went bankrupt in 2001 and the total assets were bought by MTD including the Bolens name too. They seem to continue making good stuff as I see Lowes sells some of the line. The Bolens line is the lower priced line, but appears identical to the higher priced Troybilts, at least in the string trimmers.

The older Troybilt walk behind trimmers are similar to the DR trimmers that you see advertised now. Might even be a spin-off of the Troybilt version.

The walk behind trimmer is useful in rocky or uneven terrain or for knocking down high grasses, something that might tear-up a regular mower.

Spiris

I have ten acres I have to mow once each year. A lot of it is between and around trees, as well as rocky areas and hills. Do they work well around trees or do you still have to get out the hand held for finishing?

Fly I'd love to have one but I would only need it once a year. I have a rental unit that I keep up the lawn mowed. Have an old lady in there that pays her rent like clock work and never complains about anything. It has a huge back yard and once a year weeds and wild wheat grows like crazy after a good rain. Takes me forever with a conventional mower and hand held Weedeater. A few years ago it got so out of hand I had to rent a unit like your's for about 18-19 bux an hour from Home Depot. I had to remove the throttle spring and use one of off my mower to get the rented trimmer to turn enough RPM's to kick ass. The rented trimmer was gutless and likely was slowed down deliberately by Home Depot. I chop the growth down, let the heat dry it out and after a couple of days I go over it again with my mower to pick it all up in the mowers grass catcher.

I would love to find a deal like your's. That is how I usually buy engines for my mower. Somebody starts one up with old rancid gas from the previous season. About 10 minutes of work, fresh gasoline and a can of Gumout I fire them up. I wear engines out fast by running them full throttle, faster than they are supposed to. As long as I can find non-running mowers for 10-20 bux at yard sales I'll keep wearing them out. Just wish I could find a few Sensation brand. I'm down to, two spare wheels and new ones are no longer made.

I still have to get busy and get my Weedeater brand hedge trimmer working. Waited about 2 weeks for a local shop to tell me he couldn't locate the part.

I have ten acres I have to mow once each year. A lot of it is between and around trees, as well as rocky areas and hills. Do they work well around trees or do you still have to get out the hand held for finishing?

Brad with 10 acres, if you're any good with small engines. Watch Craig's list for a non-running riding mowers. Friend of mine got a Craftsman brand riding mower with a grass catcher trailer from a divorcee. He paid her 50 bux, bought a belt, spark plug, air filter and changed the oil and it runs just fine.

Az, I've got a good Deere diesel ride-on mower and that knocks out the bulk of the mowing in about four days (remember this is rough mountain country, not flat yard), but I weedwhack all the grass around the trees and and around a fair amount of holly oak and scrub oak. I have to do that to keep from "laddering" in the event of grass fire and setting the oaks and pines on fire (not to mention mi casa).

It takes another 4-5 days of weedwhaking with a handheld to clean out around the brush and trees. I've been looking at the DR Field version wondering if it would speed things up any.

Thanks,

Brad