Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Show Your Gunsmithing And Reloading Bench

Reverend Recoil

Attached is the reloading work center that I completed a few months ago. It's located in the corner of my garage. The bench top is 3/4" oak plywood laminated to 3/4" CDX pine plywood. The bench was framed with 2X6 and 2X4 lumber with a 1X6 oak back splash. The oak cabinets were purchased unfinished from Lowe’s. Everything was finished with Minwax stain and spar urethane. The plastic drawers came from Office Depot.

So far this arrangement has worked well for me. I would be interested in seeing a picture posted of what your gunsmithing or reloading setup looks like.

Reverend Recoil

post-45-1240796225_thumb.jpg

Those are some nice setups. I like Limpid Lizard's gun shop easy chair. Keep the pics coming.

A good buddy of mine has lymphoma. That is his chair. I put it in there so that he could be out in the shop with me. I think the chair will no longer be needed in a very short time. This buddy and I have camped, hunted, smithed and shot together for years. Years ago, he helped me build the shop.

LL,

I am sorry to hear of your friend. I have a good buddy in the same shape. He is currently in the V.A. hospital in Kansas City. I don't think he will be coming home. He has been my running buddy for years. Had I know the use for the chair I would not have posted what I did. :(

Swamprat

Heck fire swampy,it's good to find out what kind of guys we're hanging out with here.My neighbor has pancreatic(sorry spelling sucks)cancer,got married to his girlfriend of 10 years to have someone to leave everything too and stays at her house,but left all his M1's and reloading stuff here at my house,and come by once or twice a week to clean them.My shop is a room in my barn,but his is the den.He was a bachelor 25 years,and had his reloading bench and shelves of powder and bullets set up just the way he likes it.Mybe this afternoon I can get a picture of my almost finished gunroom. Jerry

No problem swampy. I've made a few chips while he snoozed in that chair. He has made it five years longer than we thought he would, and we had some good times during those years. I think he is grateful for everyone of them. He had hernia surgery years ago and pretty much gave up hunting. I called bull on that and we continued with me doing the heavy lifting. He has been good for my life.

He bought another rifle last week, is barely able to function, but is planning on handloading this week. I dropped off 100 Sierra Match Kings yesterday. He asked me to order 16 pounds of Varget and 4895. I doubt he has much more than a week or three left, but he is not giving up. LL

Limpid Lizard,

Best wishes for such a good friend as yours. I hope there will always be a special place for that chair.

I don't have mine here, but it was a short woodworking bench/reloading bench. I used t-nuts (those jagged-edge nuts that implant in the wood). You just bolt the reloader in when needed, so it's easy on- easy off. I kept all the equipment in mortar cannisters and .50 cal ammo cans when not in use.

I used t-nuts (those jagged-edge nuts that implant in the wood). You just bolt the reloader in when needed, so it's easy on- easy off.

tony, by my way of thinking, those T-nuts are engaged from underneath? so you have a hole in the top? i am looking for a way to mount a variety of attachments to my bench, and your idea might be my solution. my other idea was to drill and tap a 1/2 steel plate for a bunch of different presses and vises.

heath

No problem swampy. I've made a few chips while he snoozed in that chair. He has made it five years longer than we thought he would, and we had some good times during those years. I think he is grateful for everyone of them. He had hernia surgery years ago and pretty much gave up hunting. I called bull on that and we continued with me doing the heavy lifting. He has been good for my life.

He bought another rifle last week, is barely able to function, but is planning on handloading this week. I dropped off 100 Sierra Match Kings yesterday. He asked me to order 16 pounds of Varget and 4895. I doubt he has much more than a week or three left, but he is not giving up. LL

Don't give up on your buddy. I have the severe aggressive lymphoma and plan on hanging around awhile. I can't believe what the Retuxin is currently doing to my mind but it is keeping me alive. I was given a 50/50 shot at 6 months, two Dr's told me to start considering a hospice but an experimental drug from the City Of Hope sabed myass. . 4 more weeks of chemo and I'm good for 6 another months. I hope to be ready for dove season in September.

Now..I am not gonna sing "San Francisco" and grab the bong....but you fellas should look into eating health food a lot of it is not bad . The Hippy thinks that it helps keep you healthy and I am starting to think that she may be right.

Karl

Does anybody know how to spell asparagus? Maybe my misspelling will give you the name it's that goofy looking green thing! Anyways, my sis send me this e-mail that say's taking canned asparagus ( because its already cooked) putting it in a blender to liquify then taking 4 tablespoons 2 times a day will fight most cancers. It will also boost your bodies ability to fight off the bad stuff. I can't stand the stuff in original form let alone a liquid. Maybe with lot's of cheese sauce! Wait doesn't cheese sauce cancer?

Swamprat

I love the stuff fresh. The canned stuff scares me. I read a joke recently about someone eating asparagus that tasted terrible. They had picked it fresh from the garden and home cooked it. It was the red variety. Actually it was the peonies coming back in the spring. Other than color, they look quite similar.