Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Shop

Rojelio

I'm building a new shop for my gunwork. I need to get my lathe and milling machine out of the garage. I did all the work myself (build the forms, rough in the plumbing, and tie the steel) except finish the slab. I hired a crew to pour it and finish it.

This will be a pay as you go project (and when I can get time and stand the heat) so it will take me most of a year probably.

So far I've got $1876 dollars in the slab and I've got the roof trusses ordered. That's another $726.00.

My gun work will be put on hold for a while.

Here's a pic of the slab. It's 24 ft. x 32 ft.

Rojelio

MVC-039F.jpg

Nice project. I've been sidetracked a little lately myself - but not to your magnitude. I came across an old wood lathe that I'm trying to scare up a few parts for as well as build a stand.

No, just a functional, very lightly used, 60-70's era medium-duty lathe I picked up for near-free. I don't have a lathe right now and thought this would be a good way to get started turning. I've torn it down and re-assembled it but now need to re-wire a donor motor and make a stand for it.

I can't seem to pass up an opportunity to make something from nothing, or restore once-productive items to their earlier use, or even better, some alternative use. I believe all who frequent this forum have a similar affliction.

The lathe would have been even more special if it were of an earlier vintage. I have an Atlas belt/disc sander from the 40's that I'm particularly fond of - I've ground numerous recoil pads and reshaped a similar number of stocks on that machine.

I'm looking for some medium-duty wood turning tools if anybody has any laying around unused (cheap). Any condition will do. My plan is to learn by experience - grinding the tools periodically to experiment with various tip shapes, angles, curves, etc. and make my own handles.

• 1 month later...

WO-WHO,In the dry.Man it looks good.Lots of windows,and a windmill to boot! I'm concerned about what happened to the blue bird house.Democrats would say your destoying habitat. Jerry

WO-WHO,In the dry.Man it looks good.Lots of windows,and a windmill to boot! I'm concerned about what happened to the blue bird house.Democrats would say your destoying habitat. Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. A lot of sweat went into it so far. Weaver even helped me put up about half the trusses. I think what you thought was a bird house is just a T post marking my property line. There is a mockingbird nest in that oak tree and they fussed at me the whole time I was putting the roof on.

I'm trying to get the siding and trim on and totally dried in before the next rain (fat chance on it raining). We're in the worst 22 mo. drought in the history of record keeping in our area. If you look at the pictures, the first one with just the slab was a little green from what little rain we got in the spring. The next picture just a little green left, and the last picture looks pretty crispy.

Weaver and I got drawn for Wyoming antelope in September so I need time to prepare for that

Rojelio

Looking good. This is in my future. I sold this house and shop. I have to be out this week. The new place has a little bit of acreage and some out buildings, but I do not know if any of them can be made weather tight enough for a shop. The barn is 48X48, but a bit drafty.

I built the shop here in 96, and I had a tremdous amount of junk stuffed in it. It is 24X36. I have been moving for weeks. I got the B'port into storage last week, and the lathe goes Tuesday. The household stuff is boxed and leaving tomorrow. I won't be able to get moved into the new place for a week after this one closes.

Enjoy your shop. LL

Looking good. This is in my future. I sold this house and shop. I have to be out this week. The new place has a little bit of acreage and some out buildings, but I do not know if any of them can be made weather tight enough for a shop. The barn is 48X48, but a bit drafty.

I built the shop here in 96, and I had a tremdous amount of junk stuffed in it. It is 24X36. I have been moving for weeks. I got the B'port into storage last week, and the lathe goes Tuesday. The household stuff is boxed and leaving tomorrow. I won't be able to get moved into the new place for a week after this one closes.

Enjoy your shop. LL

LL, I hate the thought of ever having to move. I've been living in the same spot for almost 30 yrs and you know how stuff accumulates. Besides, I own my home and don't owe a dime to anyone (except taxes) so I think I'll just stay put.

Good luck on the move.

Rojelio

PS: I met Mike McCabe today. He came by the house with Weaver. They were going out to try and russle up some hogs.

I hope they get something after suffering in this heat. Official temp here was 105*. On my back deck it said 110*

The shop is looking good. I'm a little envious. I was going to start on a new shop this year but my back problem has resurfaced and put a hold on that plan.

Kenny

The shop is looking good. I'm a little envious. I was going to start on a new shop this year but my back problem has resurfaced and put a hold on that plan.

Kenny

Ken, where's there's a will there's a way. Just take your time and do it a little at a time and don't over do it.

Also, friends and/or relatives come in handy for the heavy stuff. Call in some old debts.

Rojelio

I got to see Roger's shop first hand on Sunday. Wow! I'm jealous! I went back today and he was trimming out the A/C. He's quite the carpenter and equally adept at gun plumbing. I got to see his "rabbit" gun. It's even better in person. He has quite a few nice rifles that he's built and from what I hear, good shooters too. Anyway, it was my pleasure to get to meet Roger, share a cold drink on a day where the mercury was nearly topped out on the thermometer, and just sit and talk about guns.

Rojelio, I like the looks of your shop as it goes. Mine is more or less about the size of yours and you can really load it up with crap. I was intending to just work in it, but...oh well.

One burning question, did you put a potty in it? I did in mine and lawdy am I glad. But I guess you are close to the trees...

We just have oak trees and they are a bit hard to hide behind.

Enjoy,

Brad

Rojelio, I like the looks of your shop as it goes. Mine is more or less about the size of yours and you can really load it up with crap. I was intending to just work in it, but...oh well.

One burning question, did you put a potty in it? I did in mine and lawdy am I glad. But I guess you are close to the trees...

We just have oak trees and they are a bit hard to hide behind.

Enjoy,

Brad

Brad, one side has a bathroom with shower stall, vanity, and toilet. Also a small kitchen. Last year my wife had me remodel her kitchen and I saved all the kitchen cabinets ( there was nothing wrong with them). Will also have a water heater. The rest (16x24) will be shop area. This thing has been in the planning stages for several years.

I got the siding on two walls yesterday. Should get the other two today. Then I can start putting on the trim. I'll be glad when I get this stage finished so I can take a break. I'll take another picture when I get to that stage.

Rojelio

• 3 weeks later...

I'm making progress between heatstrokes. I finished all the siding and trim and next week I'm having the overhead door installed. Then, I'll be totally finished with the outside except for painting any exposed wood. Next comes the wiring and plumbing.

Roger

Front view:

MVC-050F.jpg

Side view:

MVC-051F.jpg

Very,very nice Roger!!! Looks like you'll be completely finished by the first norther.Then you can set back,crank up the smoker,set on the porch with some cold-beer,and start enjoying what you've done.I've been working on my gun room in my old barn,so I know what you mean about working between heatstrokes.We did get a big rain last night though.I'm surprised you still have a little green grass. Jerry

• 4 months later...

So how's the new shop working out?

Hi Ken, thanks for asking. I haven't been getting a whole lot done on it since hunting season started. I have my priorities :D .

I did manage to get the wiring totally finished and will start the plumbing shortly. Probably start right after the holidays.

Weaver and I just got back from a bow hunt that we got drawn on. We were unsuccessful. It was a doe culling hunt and all I had within range for 3 days were bucks. Finally on the last day with 15 min. left in the hunt I got a doe within range and blew the shot. And thats why I like mausers :lol: .

Anyway, when I make more progress, I'll post some pics.

Roger