Military Firearm Restoration Corner

nice hour at the range

karlunity

I spent a nice hour at the range today.

It has become my habit to go to the range on Friday after school.

The Hippy means me with range gear and off we go.

Now an hour may not seem like much, but I have the place pretty much to my self.

NIce...on the weekend it is packed..not so nice.

I filed down the front sight of the P-1. Now at least, if I aim for the head at 25 meters, I hit the chest.

Before I was hitting the bottom of the board!!!!

A fella told me that the Germans use P+p type sub-gun ammo in their Army pistols and that is why a P-1 shoots low with American ammo.

I could file a bit more, but it is good enough now and I don't want to take off too much and end up shooting high ohmy.gif .

Take care

Karl

Using hotter loads changes the internal ballistics of the weapon/ammo combination.

A harder kicking load kicks the weapon back and up harder than a softer loading before the bullet exits the barrel. This is why 200 grain loads hit higher at 100 yards than 150 grain loads in the 30-06 (depending on the mass of the rifle).

Jimro

Hey karlunity, I can't think of a better way to spend a free hour than at the range...particularly with someone you love!

Does the Hippy shoot with you? I think you have mentioned before that she has a weapon or two, right? Does she enjoy shooting as much as you do?

Once I move from CA I am hoping to acquire the habit of going to a range on a more frequent basis than I do currently...which averages out to be roughly every two months or so. Even an hour every week would definitely give me room to improve my shooting skills.

Good for you! It's good that you and the Hippy do that!

Hello Emul8.

Alas no. The Hippy goes shopping most times and we meet and go out afterward.

She has a .38 for protection, I talked her into it. biggrin.gif But she does not like to shoot.

At first, she did not want her own pistol, but after someone tried force the rear door one night, she saw the light.

She now thinks that ALL women should be armed.

She said it stands to reason that if you are the smaller half of the human race, the firearm is a logical requirement to balance the scales.

She got me into Zen and health food and I got her into guns and the rightwing.

Life is strange biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Take care

Karl

Aw, karlunity, that's too bad that the Hippy doesn't like to shoot...but that she's supportive of you doing so is pretty cool!

I think she's right about the need for women to be armed. I once read somewhere that one woman advanced the idea that all women needed to have a .357 Magnum and a cell phone. Sounds like good advice to me!

Zen, health food, guns and the right wing? That sounds like fun! Just enough to keep each other on their toes and provide a place for lively debate!

Personally, I was a complete liberal about 4 years ago and my immersion in more right wing views has come under the cover of the "gun culture" that I got into via these forums. Now, I have never directly changed my mind as a result of what anyone else has said, because, of course, I do try to think for myself. And I will admit that there have been many, many times when I totally chafe under some more right wing tenets, but ultimately, I think I have been able to reconcile both my dying liberal and my newborn conservative pretty well.

And I still eat health food and try to meditate -- oommmmm!