Military Firearm Restoration Corner

To Be Off Line !

cold shot

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd let ya know that I'm still alive. I know I haven't been on hardly..

Went to my Doc's this past Mon. The shoulder surgery didn't completely take. The muscle on the

top of the rotator cuff tore again. The sutures dissolved fast than I healed. So looks like I'll be going

in for more surgery on the same shoulder.. This means I'll be off work for another 9 months estimated.

So I'll be off line for atleast 6 weeks,unless I learn to type with 1 finger.you all take care will be back

soon. I enjoy this site alot....SS/Dave :(

SS/Dave, if that nine months disability can be stretched to a year and you can get the Dr's to back you up. You might qualify for Social Security Disability. The time could possibly be retroactive from day one. Might be worth your time to make the call to a SS Office. Could get you about a grand a month while you're recovering. Don't think of it as a govt handout. It is insurance you and your employer have been paying for since you earned your first paycheck they took FICA deductions.

Dave

Hate to hear that the sugery didn't take. Wish you the best and hopefully things will go your way. I need to give you a call one of these days. Just never get a chance. Its all work and no play around here :(. Take care buddy.

Brenden

:) Thanks for the well wishing guys. I'm getting good at using the 1 finger method. :D

Az, I'm already getting $1980/month from my workers comp co.I''ve been approved for 104 weeks

of comp since this started in Sept last year. So still have 15 months of comp comeing..

FC/DR.Hess I quit smoking and drinking in Aug of 1980.. ..

Brenden, I'd call but your never in range..Are you still in school??

Went to my shop to see the boss..He says what ever it takes to get me A-Ok to come back.

My job is waiting for me. He's hired a couple of guys but he said their no match to what I put out.

I've been a journeyman tech for the past 35 yrs. He says that the 2 new guys are just takin up the

slack till I get back...That sure takes a load of my mind..Now to get the surgery and recoup...

Once again, you guys and gals here are a great bunch of folks,and I'm proud to know ya...Dave

Dave SS will off set the total amount off disability benefits you receive by the worker's comp but even if it is only a couple of hundred per month it might be worth spending an hour filling out the paperwork.

Another thing you might want to check. Be certain your health insurance from your employer stays in effect after your long absence. Depending on the insurance co's policy and state law you might lose coverage after being gone from the job after a certain period of time. The willingness of your employer to continue to pay the employer portion of the insurance premium is another important factor to consider. Possibly you will have to cut a check every month to your employer or health insurance plan.

Arizona as well as most states require the employee to be informed of their health insurance plan. For example, if the policy states coverage ceases after the 180th day of a consecutive absence. It is your responsibility to be informed, not up to your employer or insurance co to advise you. I know there have been plenty of changes since I was in the business but it would be worth your time to check it out. In Arizona all the employer has to do is state they gave the employee a brochure containing the regulations. I found that out the hard way many years ago after being out on a worker's comp injury for several months.

If you will lose your health coverage, filing for SS becomes even more important because you will become eligible for Medicare. The downside is losing family coverage from the employer plan. Medicare will not cover your dependents unless they are also considered disabled.

+1 to what everyone else said. Being informed is key. Bennies keep getting eroded year after year and then someone who actually does deserve and need it, gets geeked. Hang tough and good luck.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Well thewy finally approved of the extra surgery.. the scheduled date and time

is June 30th at 10am... Still workin on the one fingered thing. gettin' pretty good I thimk..

Well I'll letyou folks to doin what ya do best...Dave