Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The Sister

Reverend Recoil

Once upon a time, long, long ago, about twelve years ago I was the plant engineer of a large steel foundry in Atchison, Kansas. One of my projects was to replace a heating boiler. This boiler failed because of gross neglect by the maintenance and production groups. I spent $80,000 by the time a new one was ready to start. The problem was that neither the maintenance nor the production department wanted to accept responsibility for properly operating and maintaining it. They were playing dumb and trying to hand me a bunch of lame excuses. I was beginning to run out of patience but wanted to avoid an ugly confrontation.

Meanwhile, at St. Benedict Church, I was active in religious education, teaching the Confirmation class. The director of religious education was this really old nun, Sister Bridgett. She was quite a character. One day she invited me to have lunch with her at the convent to discuss plans for Confirmation. While I was there she gave me the grand tour of the convent. It was a beautiful place. I never touched so much Holy Water and genuflected so many times in all my life. When she asked about my work I mentioned that I was working with a new boiler. Sister Bridgett told me that the biggest boiler in town was in the basement of the convent and asked if I wanted to see it. Sure. When we went down there she told me how well she and some of the other nuns operate the boiler. Once a year they put on overalls, blow down the tubes, pull out the burners, and clean the soot out of the fire box. I was impressed. It also gave me an idea.

When I got back to the foundry I told both groups of workers that if this boiler was too much for them to handle I would be forced to bring in, The Sister. They didn’t like the way that sounded. I explained to them that the nuns at the convent operate the biggest boiler in town.

The Sister and I have an understanding. All I have to do is make one phone call and Sister Bridgett will come here with her crew of nuns, take you by the hand and show you tough guys how to fire up this boiler. Now, what’s it going to be?”

They decided that they might be able to manage the boiler after all, without The Sister.