Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Gun Safe Trouble

Reverend Recoil

I have an American Eagle gun safe manufactured by Cannon Safe. The base of the combination dial is loose. I have to hold the base up and go throught the combination about ten times to get it open. Sometimes it seems to help if I rattle the dial base and door handle. I am concerned that it will get worse and I may never be able to get it open. I have removed the inside door panel but do not see a simple way of adjusting the lock assembly. Have any of you had this problem? Do I need to call out a lock smith?

The dial base should not have any effect on the rest of the mechanism, besides giving you a different reference point. Try this: With the door open, of course, set the dial where you think it should be. Put a pencil mark on the door at the reference point. Dial your combination and see if it opens. If not, try adding one to each number and try it, try subtracting one from each number, etc., and iterate through until it opens reliably. Then either adjust your dial to the correct zero position or memorize the new combination and glue the base down. A little epoxy or super glue would do wonders there.

I had trouble with mine, removed the door and took it to a locksmith. When he asked for my phone number I said I would prefer you didn't call, just let me know when it would be done. The smith was cooperative, said I understand and told me to come back in 2 hours.