Military Firearm Restoration Corner

finally back!, but lets talk calibers!!

youngtrout

I built or rather am building an 8x68 because I too dislike the belted magnums. However, the .338 is such a wonderful cartridge that it is worth overlooking the dreaded belt.

True,

But I like redundancy. Besides, since when did not needing a rifle matter? If that were the case I'd have two: My .30-06 and my .22lr. laugh.gif

Also, it is very nice to own rifles that cost very little to feed. the 8x68, wonderful as it is, is a handload only proposition. Usually not a problem but sometimes it is just nice to be able to go to the store, plunk down $20, and go to the range. Probably the most important reason though is that it is good practice.

This coming form the man that may well end up with both a .220 swift and a .22-250. laugh.gif

Guest Mauserfever
My 25-06 has 1909 argie bottom metal and I can put 120gr Sierras into the rifling with no clearance problems at all.

7718[/snapback]

Thanks to all for great info on the 25-06 magazine length. Now I know what one of the new barrels will be on my Midway order. Still thinking about the second project barrel though......................hmmmm!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for great info on the 25-06 magazine length. Now I know what one of the new barrels will be on my Midway order. Still thinking about the second project barrel though......................hmmmm!!!!!!!!

Well I just joined this august foum and am buildinga 9.3x62 on a 1908 DWM action that had a really poor Barrel. As a CANUCK I mostly hunt Moose ,deer,and black bear. I live on my farm in Southern Ontario where there are lots &lots of deer&bears.My moose hunting is usually a 16 or 18 hr. drive north. My major question is has anyone ever shot one?? What is recoil like? I'm told its milder than the 375H&H and 338 win. but more than a 35 Whelen. I reload everthing I own so LOADS are not a problem. I have brass,bullets,dies etc. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks JITC

I doubt you will notice the difference between it, the whelen, or the .338-06.

You will love it. The 250 Nosler BT's are a great lite bullet for that cartridge.