Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tried To Go Shooting Today.

Sailormilan2

My son and I decided to go shooting today. Sight, double check, and test our Polytech M-14s. Mine has a new barrel, so needs breaking in. We decided to go to Lone Tree Canyon, about 10 miles north of Mojave off of Hwy 14. Out in the middle of nowhere. I also wanted to shoot my 22/250 and 35 Whelen.

Well, when we get there, there is a big black and yellow NO SHOOTING sign right off the Highway. We keep going anyway, and just past the 1st L.A. Aquaduct pipe, is a 2nd black and yellow NO SHOOTING sign. Right next to the BLM map showing public and private land, and what trails to ride on.

I guess, since they have installed windmills farther up the canyon, and the service vehicles for the windmills use the road, it is not good for shooters to be there. Even if it is BLM land.

Anyway, turn around to head back to other areas. Road is horrible washboard. Get out onto Hwy 14 and look down, and OMG!!! :o NO OIL pressure. Get pulled over, kill the engine, and check under the hood. Oil all over the driver's side. I have no idea where it is coming from.

Call my oldest son, who is in Bakersfield, 65 miles away to bring oil. ETA probably 90 min. Brainstorm. Check the oil cooler connection to my radiator. Fitting is loose, pipe wiggles. Call my son back, tell him to bring tools, box wrenchs, and pliers. Washboard road vibrated the fitting loose.

ETA, still 90 min.

Another brainstorm. Call my ex bro-in-law, who lives 25 miles away outside of Rosamond. My son does the calling, and my bro in law gets directions confused. Takes an hour to get to us, since he went south on Hwy 14, rather than North.

He finally shows up, and has a crescent wrench and pliers. Get it tightened down. He brought just enough oil to barely touch the bottom of the dipstick.

I drive into Mojave, and go to Stater Bros. Supermarket. Tranny acting funny. Downshifting weird. When the engine lost oil, I think the computor when into panic mode. I get 2 qts of oil at Stater Bros. $4.99 qt. :angry: While my son is putting in the oil, I unhook the battery to reset the brain. Oil now at the right level. It took somewhere between 4 1/2 - 5 qts of oil. Tranny now working fine.

Time for lunch and a rest. Been baking in the sun for almost two hours.

After lunch, we decide there has been too much fun for one day, and head back home to Bakersfield.

Now we have to find another place to shoot out side of Mojave. I have a spot in mind, but need to check it out first.

I don't think that I've ever regularly carried more than one spare quart of oil, but I've carried an array of tools for years.

Whenever I get a duplicate or replacement tool, the old one goes into the truck. I've built up a fairly nice assortment now

even after my car (before the truck ) was broken into and my tool box stolen.

tinker

My son and I decided to go shooting today. Sight, double check, and test our Polytech M-14s. Mine has a new barrel, so needs breaking in. We decided to go to Lone Tree Canyon, about 10 miles north of Mojave off of Hwy 14. Out in the middle of nowhere. I also wanted to shoot my 22/250 and 35 Whelen.

Well, when we get there, there is a big black and yellow NO SHOOTING sign right off the Highway. We keep going anyway, and just past the 1st L.A. Aquaduct pipe, is a 2nd black and yellow NO SHOOTING sign. Right next to the BLM map showing public and private land, and what trails to ride on.

I guess, since they have installed windmills farther up the canyon, and the service vehicles for the windmills use the road, it is not good for shooters to be there. Even if it is BLM land.

Anyway, turn around to head back to other areas. Road is horrible washboard. Get out onto Hwy 14 and look down, and OMG!!! :o NO OIL pressure. Get pulled over, kill the engine, and check under the hood. Oil all over the driver's side. I have no idea where it is coming from.

Call my oldest son, who is in Bakersfield, 65 miles away to bring oil. ETA probably 90 min. Brainstorm. Check the oil cooler connection to my radiator. Fitting is loose, pipe wiggles. Call my son back, tell him to bring tools, box wrenchs, and pliers. Washboard road vibrated the fitting loose.

ETA, still 90 min.

Another brainstorm. Call my ex bro-in-law, who lives 25 miles away outside of Rosamond. My son does the calling, and my bro in law gets directions confused. Takes an hour to get to us, since he went south on Hwy 14, rather than North.

He finally shows up, and has a crescent wrench and pliers. Get it tightened down. He brought just enough oil to barely touch the bottom of the dipstick.

I drive into Mojave, and go to Stater Bros. Supermarket. Tranny acting funny. Downshifting weird. When the engine lost oil, I think the computor when into panic mode. I get 2 qts of oil at Stater Bros. $4.99 qt. :angry: While my son is putting in the oil, I unhook the battery to reset the brain. Oil now at the right level. It took somewhere between 4 1/2 - 5 qts of oil. Tranny now working fine.

Time for lunch and a rest. Been baking in the sun for almost two hours.

After lunch, we decide there has been too much fun for one day, and head back home to Bakersfield.

Now we have to find another place to shoot out side of Mojave. I have a spot in mind, but need to check it out first.

Man i feel sorry for you there is nothing like steping out of the door and be able to torch off a few in my back yard, but you have a little bit nicher weather.

these damn windmills will be the death of hunting and shooting! around Tri-Cities, WA, they say they have the largest wind farm west of the Mississippi. access is closed to the whole area. you cant even drive near them. they say it will take something like 20 years before they pay for themselves. what a waste and a crock!

heath