We followed district procedure: 1)pulled our fire alarm, 2) evacuated

all students and staff, 3) called 911, and 4) notified the Des Moines Public

Schools Security. In these situations our first concern is the safety and

welfare of our students and staff.

The fire department responded as well as the Des Moines Public Schools

Security. They investigated the restroom and called the arson

investigators. The building was cleared for occupancy by the fire

department and students and staff reentered the building. Lunch schedules

were adjusted for students and staff. Regular classes were resumed.

We wish to commend all of our children on their behavior outside and inside the building. They were very cooperative and helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 242-8449.

Sincerely,

Gail Soesbe, Co-Principal

Sue Marcucci, Co-Principal

TwistJG26 --

Your alternate title to this memo struck me as - shall we say, different - in that it suggested that all of the procedures followed in this incident were as a result of two women being co-principals at this school. From what I read, the memo itself is pretty clear about what was done, and why:

We followed district procedure: 1)pulled our fire alarm, 2) evacuated

all students and staff, 3) called 911, and 4) notified the Des Moines Public

Schools Security.

Now, do I think this stuff is overkill, sure I do...as well as a waste of resources that could be better utilized in an actual emergency. However, I almost can't blame people in positions of authority, or in charge of a public facility for doing things like this. I mean, what if one of the kids had seen this and mentioned to a parent that nothing was done when there was a fire in the boys bathroom?!? HORRORS!

You know how some people can be...the kid would relate the information incorrectly, and then the parent would flip out thinking that school officials had endangered their precious, little baby!

It seems like the pricipals made the wisest decision, that would both pacify any parent who might worry about those "could have happened" scenarios, as well as CYA-ing the school.

I would like to hope that given the tone of some people, that male administrators would have done the same thing. Which isn't to say it's right, only that if some people would stop using schools to "babysit" their children, and then freak out when even the smallest thing goes awry, maybe everyone could focus on the function of educational facilities.

But ultimately, it's definitely overkill. When I was a child in school...most of my principals would have gone into the restroom, observed the scene, flushed the urinal (or whatever people do with urinals...I can't say as I have any experience with them), and told any kids observing the event to get back to class! Finis!

This is a prime example of what has gone wrong with our society over the last 25 years: guidelines trump common sense.

We are discouraging use of common sense and replacing it with fear of retribution.

This does not bode well for the future.

Guest MorgansBoss

I'm with Em on this one. Sure sounds like a case of "...well there is a fire (was a fire) so we got to follow the proceedure..." A scenario that would have likely played out the same way regardless of the official's gender - given the same "CYA" attitude. The real safety nazi in this case is the idiot who likely wrote a rule without room for discretionary application.

Yeah it's overkill, absolutely! The fact of how far overboard we've gone really came home to me while sitting in the stands at a high school rugby game in South Africa last April. Never mind that the sport would never be allowed here - too violent - but the sight of hundreds of fans (mostly parents) sitting in the stands SMOKING CIGARETTES and most men with their ever-present belt knives still at their sides would have brought out the riot squad in my state!

Now one burning question Twist - that logo of yours - is that a polar bear smoking a crack pipe? blink.gif

I agree with Emul8 that this was not a gender related decision. Any co-principals would be expected to do the same.

If there had been a fire, and the book (however it's written) had not been followed, there would be hell to pay on the part of the school district.

Yeah, things are a helluva lot different from the days this 62 year old fart attended school (maybe some of you too). It's the sign of the times.

Everything must be taken into perspective today. Like it or not (I don't).

Hell, the school officials today would have a cardiac if they had to deal with some of the pranks that were played on schools of the 60's. But then they didn't have to deal with the drugs so common now.

Speaking of drugs, I just can't see the no-compromise rules now in place. An aspiran tablet in the purse of a girl will get her put into a special education (punishment) school in some outside community (bused at taxpayer expense).

Does that make sense?

Nothing makes sense anymore!

Take me back to Mayberry!

fritz

Hey TwistJG26 --

I have wanted a Great Pyrenees for ages, they are wonderful looking dogs. However, I was wondering if what I'd heard was true, and they don't drool like St. Bernards and other large breeds with big ol' droopy lips. Is that right? I don't like dog drool, so that would be a negative aspect if they do drool.

Just curious.

I remember getting a call at the Rosamond, CA elementary school regarding 3 students fighting. 2 2nd graders had been picking on a 1st grader, so he picked up a pencil and stabbed on of them in the face.

The school principle wanted me to take a PC 245( assault witha deadly weapon) report, because, "I have read the penal code, and I know that it is an assault with a deadly weapon."

Apparently, he missed the section, that states that one has to be 14 or older to commit a crime (in CA).

I was so mad, I was ready to arrest him for, what is commonly called in Police work as, "Felony Stupid".

We had one school principle refused to let and on duty, uniformed Deputy come onto campus because she was afraid some kid would hug him and knock h is gun out of the holster. It would go off and kill some one.

I think we have more trouble with school employees than students.

Times have changed!!! I agree with fritz, take me back too!!!! I was a freshman in high school when I built my first rifle. Yes, I said rifle in school!!! We had a gunsmithing class in school, and all 9 of us built a rifle out of Mauser actions. 1 hour a day. We did the whole nine yards, hot bluing and all. Can you imagine kids doing that today, or should I say, can you imagine parents letting kids do that today!!! Where did we all go wrong?? Why did we let this happen!!! If we only knew!!! It's a shame, and I'm afraid it's toooo late!!!!!!

Davis.

What is needed in my business is not more computers, AIDs in the classroom or Fed money.

It is the ability of the working teacher or principal to call PC bs PC bs.

That is not gonna happen till the courts start to call legal BS legal BS and as Tom Moore said "that will not be for some time".

Up the revolution!!

Karlsky

In our one school county, the sheriff has prososed establishing a position of school patrolman/woman. The position would be funded out of the sherrif budget.

When asked today of our opinions on the matter, nearly everybody agreed it was needed. School ain't the same as it was in the 60's.

I can see the students now protesting this thing (hell, I would have too in the 60's) But times have changed. What used to be a simple prank is now a more serious incident. We were talking today about the cherry bombs flushed down the toilet, etc. when we were kids.

The intent to commit the prank is the same, but the prank itself is becoming much more dangerouus. But drugs in use and exchanged on school grounds are the reason for the patrolman/woman.

I don't have children in school anymore (thank God). But now as an older citizen, I still have responsibilities to the community, which includes the school. If I ignore the situation in our local school, I am contributing to the decline of disiciple and order there.

All citizens have this responsibility. No matter your age. You just can't say "Well I don't have children in school anymore, so it's no concern of mine".

The problem arrises when too few citizens realize this responsibility, and do nothing. I hate to think what sort of troublemaker I would have become if not constrained in school.

And that is all I have to say about that!

fritz

Geez Emul8, Can you hurry up and grow that "Tool" you know you have always wanted? So we can make fun of Silly Broads In peace.

Well, ShooterTom, all I can say that unlike you, I know where to wave my little tool...in the "Them are Fightin' Words" forum.

I'll see you there, and restrain myself until then! tongue.gif

Guest MorgansBoss

FRITZ... If the County has a meeting/ public hearing or other comment oportunity suggest they look into FEDERAL FUNDING. The DOJ doles out tons of grant money to fund these school cop positions all over the country.

I can relate to riflebuff's experience. Didn't have a gunsmithing class but I did spend an hour or so a day for a semester about 1975 building a muzzle loading PISTOL in shop class. Built the whole thing from scratch, "Lock, Stock & Barrel" literally. Made it .50cal. because we had a 1/2" reamer. Ran into the teacher years later when my son attended the same school (he was retiring mid-year) and I made a joke about how he'd be locked up today - he didn't think it was a funny as me - he told how many times he's been called on the carpet for not "properly inventorying and securing" tools after each class... yup, things have sure changed!

Em, I can advise you on one thing - don't get a CBR (Chesapeke Bay Retreiver) if you don't like drool. I'd advise anyone to get one (or two or three) but they tend to drool when you're eating something they consider apetizing - which could be anything from a t-bone steak to a mummified dead groundhog (real life experience speaking)! blink.gif For inquiring minds MORGAN is a CBR, she considers me her boss, hence MorgansBoss!

Things have certainly changed. In high school shop a couple kids built muzzle loaders, I built a couple knives and a small cannon. Most likely get shot for doing that now.

I always used to carry a pocket knife. Now you get in trouble for having a picture of a weapon.

One local girl who was joining the army after high school had her senior picture taken in front of the howitzer at the VFW. The school wouldn't let her put the picture in the year book. That one made national news.