Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Genealogy

ken98k

I've been researching my genealogy and have made some interesting discoveries.

I’ve been tracing my father to his father, to his father and so on.

The first to emigrate to America from County Kent, England, was in 1640. (the pilgrims landed in 1620)

He, his son, and his grandson, had already lived and died before the American Revolution!

My father and great aunt collaborated a few years ago to compile my family's genealoy and it is sitting open on the desk in front of me right now.

Apparently, my ancestry dates back to Nottingham, England in the 1500's. Later on, I had two ancestors that fought for the Confederacy. After the war, it looks like they all settled in or around Panola County, Texas. My great, great grandfather is buried 35 miles from my chair and I have visited his grave. Its pretty cool to know where you're from.

Best of luck with your genealogical search. I hope you're able to turn up some good stuff.

-Jason

We have part of ours traced back to about that time as well from about that area. Nathaniel Holland IIRC was the name. Emmigrated from England for "religious reasons".

Here's an unverified story about the first Kendall (in my line) on this continent.

Francis Kendall would be my Great X7 Grandfather.

Francis Kendall assumed the alias "Miles" during his early residence in this country, due to the fact that he fled secretly to this county.

He came from England before 1640, and with 31 others signed the town orders of Woburn, 18 December 1640, having lived in Charlestown, where he was a taxpayer in 1645. In December, 1658, he deposed that his age was about 48 years, possibly making his birth between 1614-1620. Admitted a freeman 10 May 1648, "he was a gentleman of great respectability and influence in the place of his residence." He served the town at different times for eighteen years as Selectman between 1659 and 1688; on the committee to lay out the common lands, 1667; on committee to build the meeting house; and a tithingman, 1676; paid by the town for a wolf; fined for being late at a selectmen's meeting, 1674. Not entirely in accord with the Puritan Church, he was presented by the grand jury for refusing communion with the Woburn church, of which he was a member, 1671.

He built the first mill in Woburn about 1650. In his will, dated 9 May 1706, when he was "stricken in years, and expecting daily his change," he styles himself a miller; and gives one-half of his "corne mill", with a proportionate interest in the streams, "dame" and utensils thereto belonging, to his son John; one-quarter to Thomas, and one-quarter to Samuel; his dwelling-house to eldest son John; others mentioned are son Jacob; daughters Mary Reed, Elizabeth Pierce,||"6thly to my daughter, Elizabeth Pierce, besides what I have given her upon marriage and otherwise, I further give her five shillings as a token of my love. And in case she shall have a child, born of her own body, I do hereby give unto it the sum of ten pounds, to be paid unto it by my executors when it shall arrive at the age of twenty and one years", Hannah Green, Rebecca Eaton (deceased), and Abigail Reed; sons-in-law Israel Reed and William Green; daughter-in-law Eunice, wife of John; grand children Francis, eldest son of John Kendall; Jacob, son of jacob Kendall; Mary Pierce, Francis Green, Elizabeth Lamson (daughter of Rebecca Eaton), and William Reed are named; also "the eight children" of his brother Thomas Kendall, "that were living" when his said brother died. The will contained twenty articles.

My father and great aunt collaborated a few years ago to compile my family's genealoy and it is sitting open on the desk in front of me right now.

Apparently, my ancestry dates back to Nottingham, England in the 1500's. Later on, I had two ancestors that fought for the Confederacy. After the war, it looks like they all settled in or around Panola County, Texas. My great, great grandfather is buried 35 miles from my chair and I have visited his grave. Its pretty cool to know where you're from.

Best of luck with your genealogical search. I hope you're able to turn up some good stuff.

-Jason

Jason -

Did any of your relatives know Jim Reeves very well? I periodically pass by his gravesite and memorial.

Jason -

Did any of your relatives know Jim Reeves very well? I periodically pass by his gravesite and memorial.

Bob,

Its quite possible. My family lived in Panola county back when Carthage was "the big city."

Off topic, but why would you be passing through the Carthage area? And if Carthage, do you ever make it down as Appleby?