Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Buck Knives Brings Production Home From China/asia

ShooterTom

I had no idea that Buck outsourced their production to China. When did that happen? Is there nothing sacred? We are so screwed. Even Kershaw knives are made in China.

I was recently at an auction for the shop that used to make Craftsman hand tools, and some others (Snapon, I think, plus more). It was 3 miles from my house. They did move the production to their facility in next town north and not to China, so that's good. On a side note, Bridgeport mills were selling for $1,800 at the auction, which is about what you can get them for anytime you want, so no deal and I still don't have one.

I think sometime after Schrade went belly up, the name was bought and they started pumping them out in China . Buck started making knives there to compete. Many of the Buck mainstays were still made here in Idaho. Whoever bought the Camillus name after they went out of business is now coming out with a line of knives made in China and a couple of the models have bamboo handles, seemed fitting and sad.

Tom

It's all about volume. If Buck knives in China makes you sick, read on. We used to mfg bolts for a wheel company that had a contract for the Bradley fighting vehicle. The volume went through the roof when Bush 1 was raising hell in Kuwait. As soon as they needed 250,000 pc qtys, we lost the order. Yeah, you guessed it, China. Makes me wanna puke when the US uses parts for our armed forces that come from a country that hates our guts. Back then I had made a decision to scrap 90,000 parts ($30,000.00 in sales) for a small internal flaw even though they passed all of my testing. (I wasn't a popular guy that time.) My remark to the owner was that someones 18 yr old son or daughter is going to be riding in that vehicle. I wonder if those importers would do the same.