Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1891 Mauser Barrels?

harley berry

If memory serves, the 7 x 57 barrel I put on my 91 was a standard large ring shank. Barrels will be the least of you problems finding parts. The better news is that those 91s were so well made that you aren't likely to break anything.

If memory serves, the 7 x 57 barrel I put on my 91 was a standard large ring shank. Barrels will be the least of you problems finding parts. The better news is that those 91s were so well made that you aren't likely to break anything.

LR threads are 1.100 major dia. all are 12 TPI

SR threads are .980 " "

91 threads are .985 " "

Could possibly lap 91 barrel into SR reciever using Clover Compound but don't know for sure. Starting out 5 thou to small in major dia. would be a No No. A LR barrel shank could be turned down for a 91 or a SR depending on minor thread dia. I would check with Mike/zlr, Clemson, Don Markey or another actual gunsmith before attempting either.

I have a 1891 argentine mauser, and I am wanting to buy barrels of any members they might have yhat would fit my reciever thanks guy's HARLEY BERRY

Are you wanting a milsurp barrel of original configuration. Or are you rebarreling one with a bad barrel that has been "sporterized"? I hav rebarreled several with commercial barrels in several calibers. I have one currently that is still a "work in progress" rebarreled to .35 Remington. It was done enough to cleanly kill this 8 point white tail last month with an RCBS 35-200-FN cast soft and slightly HP'd with a Forster HP tool. Velocity was 2150 fps. Works for me.

Larry Gibson

post-2159-126082855477_thumb.jpg