Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Reloading With Different Types Of Metals

harley berry

I have a 1891 argie mauser and am thinking of trying out reloading with alternative metals, "instead of lead" so i'm wondering if anyone out there has tried this before. maximum Penetration type of metal, vs maximum type of metal for really long distance shooting. Is aluminum strong enough?, or a solid steel? I am just trying to get any helpful thought's, or hints before I attempt on my on trial and error. My winter project to do to fight bordem here in vermont

Barnes and Nosler make solid copper boolits. Also called E-bullets. Bullets need to be heavy metal that is soft enough to imprint rifling and seal bore. Aluminun is way to light for anything but point blank range shooting.

JMO

I remember something about zinc bullets, but I think that was in handguns.

The military uses depleted uranium cores, but I'm guessing that's not an option :)

What are your goals for trying different metals? Saving dolphins? Reducing pollution?

If you want to reduce pollution, why not try .22 caliber sabot with the 7.65 bore?

http://www.jdcomponents.com/prices/prices.html

I remember something about zinc bullets, but I think that was in handguns.

The military uses depleted uranium cores, but I'm guessing that's not an option :)

What are your goals for trying different metals? Saving dolphins? Reducing pollution?

If you want to reduce pollution, why not try .22 caliber sabot with the 7.65 bore?

http://www.jdcomponents.com/prices/prices.html

I have no concern about dolphins, or tree huger's, I'm not that guy. I was thinking of armor piercing etc. , or a bullit that hold it's shape, and not tumble at very high distances