Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Have A Small Problem And Need Some Advises

spec4 e4

My wife told her mother that I was making her a cedar chest and asked my wife if I could make her one. My mother in law 2nd family does not take care of nothing. The destory a new couch and tv. They took a knife and stab the tip into the top of the table and blade to the edge.

Here is my question, would you waste your time and talent on something that you know will be destory?

Thanks

Rob

I'd make her happy and do it.

Women seem to let little things like this ferment for a long time and at just the right time you will be vehemently reminded of your callous treatment of her mother. (She will decide when the time is right)

Save yourself some heartburn down the road and build the chest. Just think of it as a worthwhile investment in your marriage.

This is just my opinion on the issue so… I hope I don’t upset anyone.

Keeping peace and harmony at home is more important than worrying about your hard work being under appreciated by your relatives.

That said I understand your hesitation to bust your tail and have what you build under appreciated and possibly ruined by others.

You say it’s a cedar chest that your mother in-law wants you to build?

How about building a chest out of plywood instead of cedar wood but when you stain it add a bottle of cedar oil for smell into the stain.

At least that way you won’t be giving away your high dollar cedar and maybe the plywood will hold up a little better.

Just a suggestion.

P.S. there’s always the possibility that your mother in law would like to have something nice that isn’t ruined.

Sometimes brownie points come back in ways we can’t imagine. You never know your mother in law may hit the jack pot some day and want to share with her favorite son in-law.

So ... building the best damn cedar chest you ever made for your mother in-law may be an option.

Older women like giving cedar chests away as heirlooms maybe your mother in-law has something in mind for your chest other than letting it be destroyed. Is anyone getting married in your family in the near future?

As long as it is not a point of honor,you will find it both kind and wise to humor the wife.

But let her know you are doing it for her and IF her family does not respect you by taking care of it, it will be the last thing you make for her family.

karl

Since your wife went ahead and commited you, go ahead and make her one. I won't make it to the same nicety that you'd put in your house; just slap something together to get her off your back.

Then, you might want to have a long talk with your wife about committing you to doing something without talking to you about it first. That ain't cool.

Well, I think that I will make her one, but it will be only a small one. Something like a 12X12X20" with a tray in it. Nothing like my wife that I am going to make for her. I just don't like wasting my time. I am only doing it for my wife and I told her that. I just don't know. But it will take me awhile, hoping that she will forget. Like not.

Rob

I understand where you are coming from Seminut I would hate to work hard on something just to see it destroyed. Maybe tell your Wife you will after the boys mature.

Fat chance of the happening with her younger brothers. More likely they will be in the walfare system. They have no drive, no respect, and no pride for them-self or other. The only chance is that her mother and step father can not take care of them and we get a hold of them. Just maybe then I can change that. But I don't think I want the job and my wife knows that. I really don't deal with her family at all. I got a diamond from a trash dump. 99% of her family is on walfare or SSI, only two that I know works, my wife and her uncle that was in the Army, he retired and still went to work on base. I have never seen anything like it, expect my two step brothers, but that's a different story.

Rob