Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Work On Call?

724wd

i'm looking at a job doing roadside assistance (AAA, Costco, dealer insurances) and the job is an on-call position. i've never done that, and wonder how it affects your home-life. pay is % off calls, and i know the faster you work, the more calls you can take, but is it worth it?

i'm 31 and been out of work since the 1st of november. the state has not ruled on my unemployment status, so i've only received assistance from family. i've had a couple of interviews, but with the sheer number of people applying for jobs, well, the fact this company is interested is nice. for 7 years i've been a desk jockey graphic designer, but such jobs are nye-on impossible to find.

I have a wife and 2.5 year old. i was making $14.50 and just scraping by. the base for the on-call position is minimal, but according to the boss, the guys he has now are doing $500- $700 per week. i am going to ride with one of the guys tomorrow, and have a ton of questions.

i dont drink but once or twice a month, and my wife thinks it sounds fine (of course she does... but i'm not sure she really gets it yet...). i would get 2 days off a week, one if i decided to work more...

decisions, decisions...

heath

according to the boss, the guys he has now are doing $500- $700 per week. i am going to ride with one of the guys tomorrow, and have a ton of questions.

heath

Is $500- $700 per week before or after you get your cut?

How many hours to make that? Divide the number of hours into what your cut is and figure out how much you are making per hour.

I've taken call for 30+ years. There was a period when a computer system needed frequent attention.

Getting woken up 3X a night gets old real fast.

Times are hard and you want to support your family but you won't do them any good if you get yourself into a position where

you are working for next to nothing. I'd say to try real hard to find something that pays close to what you were making

before for 40 hrs a week.

I know, 'more easily said than done'.

Let us know about the ride along.

Best of luck to you Heath!

Tinker

On call sucks. I worked on call as a dispatch driver for the railroad. When called you go and damn the weather or your home life. Roadside repairs or towing is the most dangerous job in the U.S. Tow truck operators are killed daily in the U.S. My brother ran a wrecker service for years and I'm surprised he survived. Main reason he survived was wide open Kansas roads and not conjusted city traffic. Look for something else.

Swamprat

I reckon I look at things different than most,but here goes anyhow.I'd take the job.It's been my experience several times that it's easier to find a job,if you have a job.If your recieving family help(money),I'd think that'd be more troubling than sorry hours.With a job like that,you should have lots of time to be hunting another job.Take the first step to get out of the hole,and don't stop until your at the top.Your family comes first,so take it.You not going to be much use to your wife and little girl if your about to have a nervous breakdown worring about their next meal and where they're going to live.Gosh dang I wish you good luck with your decision. Jerry

I agree.

With a family, any job is better than none.

Home life? That is a luxury that comes way after putting food on the table.

I, also have found that it is easier to get a better job when you already have one.

Job offers are sorta like girls...They tend to come around you IF you already have a girl. : )

Karl

I do and have for many years. It sucks getting woke up and leaving a nice warm bed to go out in the cold at 2:00 AM, but I don't mind after I get on the road. What really sucks is just getting back to bed at 4:00 and then the phone rings again. :angry:

Take the job, you can always find something else later on.

Kenny

Heath,

My father has worked on call for the power company for roughly 30 years. In that time, we've had to miss a few opening season days and a couple Christmases. He works one week on call, one off and has had to schedule his life around being available to take calls. It sucks and he's really looking forward to leaving it with'em in a couple years.

With all that said, being on call put a roof over our heads when I was young and paid for child support and college when I was older. He resents that being on call has cost him opportunities to do certain things, but its part of the job and "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."

I'd vote for take the job. If it agrees with you, you can stick with it. If you hate it, you can find another. In the mean time, you'll feel better because you're doing something and making money again.

I wish you all the best luck in the world, whatever you choose. Keep your head up and keep on truckin' man. Something will break loose for you sooner than later.

i took it. couldnt really pass it up, as i hate not working. it'll be a challenge, but should be interesting. went on a handful of runs with a kid today and it's not rocket science, but with all the makes and models of cars, learning the tricks to opening them quickly will provide an interesting diversion!

thanks fellas.

• 2 weeks later...

Heath, last time I called a tow truck I tipped the guy 5 bux and he acted as though I was being a cheap skate but after I asked, he was gentle with my classic pick-up. My truck was in the ritzy high rent district. Not my home but at a relatives house I was visiting. The tow bill was paid by the garage. About 10 years ago I locked myself out and got a free-be from the new car warranty. I gave the guy a few bux and he was thrilled, saying first tip he got that day. Do the drivers normally get tipped, and how much do they usually get?

so far i've got 2 tips... $4 and $2. i thanked both tippers earnestly and sincerely as they are not required to tip. i've not had anyone mad at me yet... most are glad to see me and it looks like i'm a quick learner. i can get in your car within 10-15 seconds. the job isnt too bad, yet... no late night calls. i only had 4 calls today, which doesnt make much money. i'm guaranteed a base, and if i bill over that i get more. one day last week i billed $119 in one hour. i believe it was wednesday, my third day. the same day i had a call 23 miles out of town, up a driveway of 6" of mud. on the way out, i found a rock buried in the mud and knocked a 1 inch hole in the oil pan! the engine shut off and i had to call the boss to come rescue me in his tow rig. he was pretty cool about it... not like i did it on purpose. put a new pan on the van and it runs fine, no knocking or ticking. what a way to start a new job! =)

Had an interesting case while I was a juror on a grand jury. Customer's debit card was declined and he couldn't pay the towing bill. Driver called boss, boss showed up and they refused to drop the car until fee was paid. Customer got into his car and tried to drive away without being disconnected. When he couldn't drive away while sitting in his car. Boss told him to call somebody on his cell that would come and pay the bill. The boss and driver blocked his car doors and they wouldn't let him out until somebody showed up and paid the bill. Customer's wife showed up and tried to write a check they refused. Wife left and called cops. Cops arrived and the driver and boss were charged with various felonies including kidnapping and extortion. The grand jury voted to indict on all counts, don't know what the final verdict was.