Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scheisters Selling Guns

FC

I wrote the TX Ranger Museum in Waco about a shotgun that I thought they might want. Read below. I can't believe the liars out there.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

We have checked our files and find no record of a Capt. Joseph Tillma, Tillman or variations in our records.

Due to the large number of "Ranger enhanced" firearms on the market (like tack-decorated "Indian" firearms), we recommend that anyone interested in purchasing such items require an irrevocable letter of return from the seller and documentation regarding the known history of the piece and historical personalities allegedly involved. We see dozens of "enhanced" pieces every year, and have yet to see one verified that did not already have extensive documentation accompanying it.

What we have written on our web page regarding badges also applies to firearms and alleged Ranger equipment: http://texasranger.org/artifacts/Fakebadges.htm

Please accept our thanks for bringing it to our attention. We expect that whomever purchases the piece will probably seek to research it here. This familiarizes us with it first.

Internet auctions are, in a way, unfortunate. They rush purchasers into making decisions about pieces that should be well-considered and researched before they are purchased. All too many times we have to tell buyers that what they have is an out-and-out fake, or that there is no documentation to support purported history.

Best Regards,

Byron A. Johnson, Executive Director

Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

Official State Hall of Fame and Museum

of the Texas Rangers Law Enforcement Agency

Phone: 254/750-8631

FAX: 254/750-8629

Email: byrontxr@swbell.net

----- Original Message -----

To: info@texasranger.org

Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:28 PM

Subject: shotgun

Hi folks,

I have no interest in this item, but having visited your museum when I lived in Waco, thought you'd like to see it. It's a TX Ranger shotgun, evidently. I'd rather see you get this than a private collector.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153727160

I really get sick of people of low character in the gunsmithing and gun selling business. Reminds me of the Nebraska gun dealer where he was trying to sell a reproduction muzzleloader as a genuine Revolutionary War era rifle. I got messed over by two gunsmiths who were dishonest. We, as a group, have to do better. Gun Broker evidently cares only about their commission.