Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Making A Lee Cutter 9.3X62 Trim Guide

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-make-93x62-trim-guide.html Pics at my blog

To make a Lee Cutter guide for trimming 30-06 length brass down to 9.3x62 I used:

Raw Materials:

A 30-06 Lee Cutter trim guide

A 223 Rem brass

SuperGlue (epoxy or solder would work as well)

Tools:

Dremel tool (or any sort of grinding tool)

Hacksaw

Bench vise (or something to hold the 223 brass)

30 caliber reloading die (to open up the 223 brass)

One 9.3x62 brass

How too assemble.

Insert a spent 223 Brass into the press, use a 30 caliber expander die (I used my 308 Win die) and then insert the 223 neck first into the neck of a sized 9.3x62 brass (although a 9.3x57 would work as well) and mark the 223 where it stops going in.

Take the 223 out of the neck of the 9.3x62, fix it in a vise and cut at the mark.

Screw the 30-06 guide into the cutting tool, dab a few drops of Super Glue onto the top of the shaft, run the cut off neck up the trim guide and wait for the glue to fix.

Once the glue is fixed, place the trim guide into 9.3x62 brass, the tip should stick about 1.3 mm past the case head. Use the Dremel tool to grind down the tip.

Done, for about six bucks in raw materials (5 bucks for the 30-06 trim guide, maybe a buck for the super glue) I avoided buying an expensive trimming tool.