Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Going For It - Advice Needed

rustvyper

So I have several - ok like 30 Mosin Nagant Barreled actions sitting in a box in the workshop. They are all early 50's M44's with no stock or bolt but nicely done, machining wise.

I know it's insane, but I'm gonna do it. Why? I dunno.

I'm gonna change the caliber on one of these babys & I'm soliciting a little advice.

Here's the plan. Lothar is fairly local & will do custom barrel for a nice price with military discount included.

I know 30-06 is an option, but I'm looking for something that may feed a little smoother without too much modification to the rails & lips of the action itself. I know I'll have to heavily modify the bolthead, it's something I intend to learn on.

Here's the plan:

-rebarrel into a new caliber.

-restock into a wooden stock with a blind-bottom magazine (2-3 shot capacity?)

-move new bolt handle to behind 2nd pillar.

-fill in clip slot & bolt handle slot

-drill & tap for some traditional weaver mounts

-iron sites? maybe

-install new timney trigger

-reshape cocking piece to something more pleasing.

Yes I know this will be the project of all pointless projects. But some day, someone will look at the beautiful piece of hardware I plan to create, scratch their head, & say, "dang! what was that GUY thinking!?!?!"

So...advice on new caliber. Since I envision the bolt head/extractor will be the majority of the work, I'd like to keep it to a more common caliber. Thanks guys!

If you are going to go to all that work to create a truly unique one-off. Why not do same for caliber. How bout a 7mmx54 russian. Lee will make a set of dies for bout $60 and 7mm bullets abound in the reloading world.

Just a thought. :)